Infected three times

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
panda06
Brand New Poster

Infected three times

Postby panda06 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:01 pm

Hello,

It's been over a year since I posted here. I am back because C Diff is back. A quick summary:

I was diagnosed in November 2018 with C Diff after taking clindamycin (sinus infection) and an appendectomy about 1-2 months prior to C Diff. I was hospitalized for 2 nights and treated with Flagyl and Vancomycin. I was sent home with Vancomycin. I did great for 1 year & 8 months and only took antibiotics twice during that time. July 18, 2020 I was diagnosed again (the week prior I had on and off symptoms). I missed one week of work. I was taking Dificid 200 mg twice a daily for 10 days. I started feeling sick again on Aug 14, 2020 and really sick this morning. I started seeing mucus and then a broad range of stools. I was diagnosed again today 8/17 was C Diff again. My primary care doctor wants me to do a vancomycin taper which is 125 mg 4 times daily for 14 days, then 125 mg twice daily for 7 days, then 125 mg once daily for 7 days, then 125 mg every 3 days for 6 weeks. Has anyone had a similar experience? This is my first taper. I am taking another week off work too. Trying to relax to heal my gut.

NS789
Regular Contributor

Re: Infected three times

Postby NS789 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:56 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this again, panda.

Like you, I relapsed after 10 days of Dificid and was put on a five-week Vanco taper. Unfortunately, the Vanco taper didn't work for me and I just recently relapsed again (I seem to have a very stubborn case). I am now trying a Dificid taper, which has worked for a lot of members on this site.

I hope the Vanco taper works for you. But if it doesn't, a Dificid taper is another option to look into.

Take care!
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

sammi79
Contributor

Re: Infected three times

Postby sammi79 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:20 pm

I started having symptoms last summer but it was so inconsistent, that I assumed it was an IBS flare as I had my last CDiff bout in 2016. I let it go and it got worse, very quickly around Christmas. I received a positive test on Jan 1 and haven't been able to kick it. I was on two 6 week Vanco tapers, one 10 day Dificid treatment, and now back on Vanco. I am hoping for a much longer taper this time so I can hopefully kick this. I am also asking for a FMT. I just want this to be over.

I am so sorry you are suffering. This just isn't a way to live.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”