Finch Therapeutics unleashes the power of the gut

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Finch Therapeutics unleashes the power of the gut

Postby Ali-Mar » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:17 pm

hope soon will have a breakthough drug to treat or prevent CDI

"Last month, Finch achieved a major milestone in that direction when it announced preliminary phase 2 results for its oral C. diff drug. The company says it was the largest placebo-controlled trial for an oral microbiome drug to date and the first to meet its primary efficacy targets in a pivotal trial."

“The first chapter in this field, and our history, has been validating this modality,” Smith says. “Until now, it’s been about the promise of the microbiome. Now I feel like we’ve delivered on the first promise. The next step is figuring out how big this gets.”

http://news.mit.edu/2020/finch-therapeu ... biome-0723
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

roy
Administrator

Re: Finch Therapeutics unleashes the power of the gut

Postby roy » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:46 pm

That's FMT pills!
It's the process of changing the name of poop to medicine so they can charge much more for it!
Currently FMT by colonoscopy or oral is classed as experimental and not approved.
You have to sign that your aware of the risks.
It's only allowed on compassionate grounds and only allowed for c.diff treatment.
This trial will change its status from poop to it being a drug somewhere between 10 and 20 years time.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:00 pm

Oh thanks Roy, I didnt know this was the Openboim FMT pill. There is another company in Portland Oregon called Flora Medicine that makes FMT pills.

They make two types of pills, a regular FMT pill and sterile pill, in sterile pill they kill all the bacterias frist to make sure you dont get COVID etc. Here is the link to their website, What do you think?

https://www.floramedicine.com/
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:33 am

I think that I would be very hesitant to do FMT from Openbiome or any donor that I did not know right now. From what I remember, OpenBiome stores the stool for about 6 months, so anything used now would be prior to COVID, but if I had to do it, I would insist on using my own donor who had been tested for the normal tests for FMT and also COVID. I have used my daughter in the past and if I had to do it again, would probably use her stool after she tested.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:11 am

How do you get the dr to use your own donor? And who prepare the stool?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:15 am

I don't know how many doctors do it. When I had my FMT many years ago, I used my own donor, but that was before OpenBiome. If you have it done at a hospital, then probably it is only OpenBiome. At a surgery center, where I had mine, it may be different. I have done my own enemas after taking antibiotics as suggested by my GI and I mixed everything up myself per instructions.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”