Recovery stool and negative PCR toxin test

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Maysol
Brand New Poster

Recovery stool and negative PCR toxin test

Postby Maysol » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:38 am

I am 7 weeks post c diff got diagnosed in late May and it’s been a journey lost over 25 lbs and my thyroid went haywire got hyperthyroid. I have three negative PCR GDH negative a toxin and b test. I was taking Florastor twice a day and now taking VSL#3 and take pepto from time
To time . My GI wants to do a colonoscopy since stool is yellow and mushy TMI! I don’t want to do colonoscopy since I am 7 weeks post c diff. Any suggestions I feel like my stool will never be normal again?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Recovery stool and negative PCR toxin test

Postby beth22 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:12 am

Hi Maysol and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for information for new posters when you have a chance.

I personally would wait with a colonoscopy unless your GI suspects some other type of problem. I would speak with him or her and ask what the reason for the test would be. Generally, it is good to give the intestines some time to rest. Being hyperthyroid can also affect your GI tract. Is that under control now? If not, maybe that would be a better place to start. I see an endocrinologist for thyroid issues.

The color of the stool takes a long time to go back to normal for many people. Has your doctor done any other kinds of tests like blood tests for liver and pancreas function? I would probably ask about doing a scan of some kind before I would have a colonoscopy - abdominal ultrasound, CT or MRI, depending on your symptoms. I lost a lot of weight with c diff too and it took me a long time to gain it back. Being hyperthyroid can also cause weight loss.

Also I don't know how much VSL#3 you are taking, but it can cause looser stools too. I can only take a small amount.

Maysol
Brand New Poster

Re: Recovery stool and negative PCR toxin test

Postby Maysol » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:02 am

I just started my new thyroid medication so it will take a
While for my thyroid to stabilize according to my endro. My doctor did suggest a CT scan put i need to drink gastografin which can cause diarrhea. No blood in stool my PCP ordered a sample. I will test in a month to see if my thyroid levels are stabilized. I don’t want to continue to lose weight. I do have fatty liver and seeing a Hepatologist for it. Just want my stools to be normal go 3x a
Day compare to post c diff it was once a day .

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”