Starting Day 3 of Dificid

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
sammi79
Contributor

Starting Day 3 of Dificid

Postby sammi79 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:00 am

After the nightmare it took to get the Dificid, I am starting Day 3. I feel okay overall and am seeing BM more formed. I am not rushing to the bathroom 10-20 times a day! My abdomen is still hard but not bloated like I'm 9 months pregnant. The sharp pains have subsided tremendously. I am still having small amounts of blood each time I go. Will that take longer to go away since I've been sick for so long? And the intestinal gurgling has increased a lot. Otherwise, I feel okay. Ridiculously tired during the day and nauseous, but it's bearable.

The nightmare I referred to above. My pharmacy doesn't fill Dificid as it is a "specialty" medication. They forwarded it on to a specialty pharmacy that is in my area. My insurance wouldn't approve them and had them forward the script onto a different specialty pharmacy that they like to use. The pharmacy they wanted me to use does not have a location in my state and said it would be mail ordered and I'd have it Wednesday (today). I then went into great detail with the man on the phone about what this medication is used for and what I have been going through and emphasized that I needed this medication now. He stuttered a bit, put me on hold and then came back saying he approved it. I hopped in my car and drove 45 minutes to the specialty pharmacy and took my 1st dose within the hour. Talk about jumping through hoops!!!!

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Re: Starting Day 3 of Dificid

Postby poppy86 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:02 am

I'm glad you were insistent about the dificid and were able to pick it up sooner. I hope you're feeling better soon and make a full recovery.

NS789
Regular Contributor

Postby NS789 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:03 am

Sorry to hear you had to jump through so many hoops to get your Dificid. I feel frustrated on your behalf!

In my experience, Dificid worked pretty quickly so hopefully you'll start to feel more relief in the next day or so. If things are going well, I would also expect the blood to disappear anytime now. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:04 pm

Due to the cost, most pharmacys dont carry Dificid. I went through a similar experience 3 months ago but also had to fight Blue Cross to approve and also push hard to get the 2nd round for my taper. That was just crazy, but this time I had an ID at Stanford so once they spoke with her and were given my history from 2014-2015 they approved.

It's TERRIBLE the sick patient has to go through all of this....just insane! I am happy you now have it and symptoms have improved already. I used Sea Bands for the nausea which did help me.

Wishing you the best with the Dificid, feel better soon

NanciT

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:30 pm

Sorry to hear about your struggle with getting the Dificid. I also was on Dificid and saw noticeable improvement after the 4th day.. good luck, I hope it will work for you, Dificid is superior to other treatment and it works for the majority of people
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”