New question

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Spike
Contributor

New question

Postby Spike » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:45 pm

I didnt know if to update the old thread or start a new so I am starting a new one as I have new questions and of couse it Friday and they are closed so I just wondering from some of you knowledgeable people. I was having a lot of nausea belly pain ECT and stools bever returned to normal so the doctor had me re test for c diff. I am 5 months post treatment 10 day dificid first treatment. The test came back negative prc and negative toxins. I thought as if you had c diff you will always be positive for pcr at least? Am I wrong? I am just happy to know I am having some severe ibs since going of florastor and kefir for having to test. I even had an accident today which I never had had through this (had to go out of town and couldnt get to bathroom quick enough). I am going to try and get belly undercontrol again with diet and florastor.
Second question is the nurse said it was safe for Imodium? I know its a no no with c diff but now my test clear I just don't know. I think I will stick with my questran until the florastor can take back over. I was just on florastor and kefir on prior to the test and doing okish. Hope everyone is staying healthy! Thanks in advance.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Re: New question

Postby Ali-Mar » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:19 pm

I think the test to see if you are carrier is EIA GDH, I think the PCR is to see if thre are Toxin generating Gene, see the table at the bottom of the following site

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases ... sting.html
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:11 am

There is no such test as "to see if your a carrier".

Spike
Contributor

Postby Spike » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:05 am

Ok sorry Roy then I am confused. I went back read the test they posted online and I am positive for antigen and negative for toxins. So I know I am negative. The nurse read them wrong to me. I just thought if you were positive for antigen you are a carrier of c diff. I have to go read about what the antigen part really mean I guess. Thank you for your time.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:44 am

I am not an expert, but I thought when you are positive for Antigen and negative for Toxin, it means you are a carrier. you have C Diff bacteria in your gut but they are harmless. Again, I am not an expert but it is my understanding that there is no test to see if you carry spores, but you can test if you are carrying the C Diff vegetative bacteria with the EIA GDH ( Antigen test) test?
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:59 am

Theres many types of c.diff (27 I think) and around half are totaly harmless but the antigen test detects them all.
The second part of the test is to identify if the type you have is harmless or a toxin producing type.
If you have a harmless strain then trying to eliminate it causes more harm than good.
Having a harmless strain might even be a good thing and might even give immunity against the dangerous strains but that's still under investigation.

Spike
Contributor

Postby Spike » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:33 pm

Back in February I was positive for both the antigen and toxin and having symptoms and treated. Treated with dificid for 10 day and now 5 month later just positive for antigen. The post infections ibs is really kicking my butt right now since I was a week off of my probiotic. I can't seem to get back where I was and so frustrating. I feel like I back at week one of recovery again. So hard chasing two kids around and feeling like crap.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:07 pm

What was the type of the Toxin test you did, was it PCR Gene or the EIA? EIA has 75-80% accuracy rate

Spike
Contributor

Postby Spike » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:00 pm

It does not say on the results other that PCR antigen and a "toxic b" screen.

Spike
Contributor

Postby Spike » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:28 pm

Update: I am going to put my update here. I saw a new GI doctor today and it was a breath of fresh air. She was much more helpful than the GI I had. She was glad I did not follow the advise of Imodium and a PPI from my other doctor. She was much more informative with information with diet, medication, probiotics, the steps I need to take to get better and making sure I getting a follow up with her. Other doctor didnt do any type of follow up after my diagnosis of c diff and or give any education. Everything I learned was from here from research articles. This doctor could tell I was well educated despite the lack of information I been given. She seemed she wanted to get me better and cared instead of pushing me out the door. She took charge of my care instead of me having to pull teeth to get it. So nice. Hope I will be on a better path of recovery now. One day at a time.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:55 pm

I think finding a good dr that you can trust and knows how to treat C Diff is 80% of the battle fighting C Diff. That is so great you found one that you can trust
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:27 pm

I agree with Ali-Mar. Having trust in your doctor will give you less stress and worry and that is part of getting better too.

Spike
Contributor

Postby Spike » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:59 pm

Thanks Beth and Ali. She seemed aggressive with treatment but yet really reserved at the same time if that even makes sense. She putting me back on Questran for 6 weeks hoping it flushes whatever has been flared back up which she said could be some minor c diff and if things arent improved we have step 2 and step 3. She said she had good success as quastran as a chaser for instances like this. Also going to up my florastor since it does help in the small amount I can tolerate. Finger cross things improve. She said not to all hesitant to give her a call and she there to help. So thankful I am not alone in this now. You guys are the only ones in my corner for a long time.

NS789
Regular Contributor

Postby NS789 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:18 pm

I'm thrilled for you, Spike! I'm so glad you're finally getting the care, advice and attention that you deserve. Posts like these give me hope! Wishing you all the best.
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”