Ear Infection, what meds to take?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Jess93
New User

Ear Infection, what meds to take?

Postby Jess93 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:50 pm

Hello,

I’m 4 weeks post a second round of Vanco and feeling great. Unfortunately, I just got an ear infection. I was prescribed with ear drops but it seems to be an inner-ear infection which does not respond to ear drops. An urgent care clinic doc tried to recommend I take Amoxicillin but I was skeptical because of its impact on C. Diff.

Has anyone else had this experience? What did you take? *I know I need to reach out to my doctor but it’s a holiday weekend. Just trying to see what other people’s experiences have been in this matter.

Thanks!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Ear Infection, what meds to take?

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:44 am

I have taken Bactrim for an ear infection before. I think I also took doxycycline before too a long time ago and both worked. Have you tried taking any antihistamines? Sometimes it can relieve the pressure and help. Check with your doctor.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:39 am

That's one of those infections that can very often be viral and antibiotics are no use.
Often no treatment is THE treatment because the cure is worse than the cause.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... #treatment

Theres lots more advice on good medical sites and all of them advise a wait and see approach.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:38 am

I’m with Roy on this one. I had a net I pot episode go bad and wound up with fluid in the middle ear. A family friend is is a physicians assistant and looked at it and said I needed an antibiotic but I refused. It went away after a few weeks. I just took bactrim this week for a few days for an infected foot, I didn’t get cdif yet, but yesterday was touch and go and brought on some pretty bad anxiety. My cdiff was caused from augmentin so I’d shy away from amoxicillin unless there was no choice. I just had a conversation this week with my pcp and how he treated an infant for cdiff from amoxicillin and how it should be considered a high offender in the cdiff community.

Jess93
New User

Postby Jess93 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:24 pm

I'm on doxycycline right now. I'm not really worried about C.Diff coming back with doxy. I'm worried that the doxy won't work and I'll have to take something else. I still feel dizzy but I have only taken it one day. Here's hoping it works and I can put this behind me.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:28 pm

You have to give it a few days. Hopefully, it will work for you.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”