Question about Pepto Bismol

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Amila
Regular User

Question about Pepto Bismol

Postby Amila » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:58 am

Hello all,

Based on all your conversations with doctors, would anyone know how safe is Pepto Bismol in terms of destroying good bacteria? It has been proven to be effective against pathogens, but I am just wondering if it indeed acts as sort of antibiotic ? In short, are we, former C Diff sufferers, safe when using it occasionally ? Thank you

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Re: Question about Pepto Bismol

Postby D1dad » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:13 am

I can’t answer from a medical standpoint, more just from personal results. It greatly helped me 15 months ago get over the hump and probably kept me from asking for more antibiotics. In fact after taking bactrim for a few days this week I’m experiencing some symptoms that are freaking me out a tad. I took some pepto yesterday and then again this morning after a couple of alarming trips to the bathroom. My pcp and Gi had no issues with using it and actually recommended it fwiw. I know when my wife got food poisoning a few months back it probably save her a trip to the doc.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:50 pm

My GI and ID both recommended it post c diff and I never had any problems with it. I still use it when I need it.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:42 pm

My GI recommends Pepto for use, even when I travel overseas.

jG43
Contributor

Postby jG43 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:15 pm

Both my GI and pharmacist said pepto will not alter your gut biome. It has some antibacterial effects but not to the point of causing cdiff. Both of them dealt with cdiff themselves and said it was okay to use post cdiff. I use pepto ocassionally post cdiff with no problems

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:14 pm

All I know is I thought I was getting it again last week after an antibiotic and it stopped it. When I originally got cdiff I almost beat it around 3 days in, I hadn’t sought treatment at that point. Had I have know about pepto I may have been able to avoid the poison known as flagyl.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”