Bactrim, wish me luck

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Bactrim, wish me luck

Postby beth22 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:43 pm

Before c diff, I used to take Bactrim for sinus infections and it always worked. I only took it for 3 to 5 days. Zpak never did anything for my sinuses, but doxycycline helped. Just saying in case you ever need something in the future, but hopefully you won't. ID said doxycycline was less likely to cause C diff than zpak, although z pak is one of the better ones to take too. We have had many posters who got c diff from amoxicillin, augmentin and even ampicillin.

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:19 am

Good luck! Many doctors treat cellulitis with clindamycin, which is probably the biggest offender in causing c. diff. So it sounds like your doctor is taking your history of c. diff into account.

I got c. diff after a mosquito bite got infected and turned into cellulitis. My doctor prescribed clindamycin and the rest is history. Cellulitis is definitely scary and if left untreated it can be fatal.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:28 am

Yeah I’ve got a good pcp. He’s the chief physician for a very good nursing home here in town so he’s up to speed on all the cdiff protocols. It’s been a few days since the last pill and so far so good. We spent a good hour talking about how docs in his profession have caused this nightmare from handing them out like candy. He also educated me in different studies showing that stopping an antibiotic early, or reducing normal treatment times by half typically Has no adverse effects in infection treatment. Obviously if you have a bone infection or worse, then things change. He was confident that bactrim would be fast and safe and thus far he’s correct. A few more days and I’ll feel a lot better, but for now all is well.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:52 am

Well! When doing yard work yesterday I had an unbelievable urge to do you know what. I took a dose of pepto and it fixed it. Being the idiot I am I ate pizza last night and then woke up and went back to back, no stopping it. I took another dose of pepto this morning and so far so good. No fever, just a tad bit concerned. I only took the bactrim 7 times so I’m hoping it’s from the 4th of July indulgence and not a trip down the highway to hell. I gotta believe if it was an actual cdiff infection rearing it’s head the pepto would have no effect on it. When I initially had it 15 months ago I could turn a block of cheese into a cannon in under five minutes.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:41 pm

Also remember you can get antibiotic induced d that is not c diff so unless you get the dreaded watery 3x3, don’t panic.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:46 am

Thanks Ril. 5 yrs ago I wouldn’t have batted an eye but my nightmare flashed before my eyes as I barely made it to the restroom and then repeated it a few minutes later. I took a couple of pepto tabs right away and then ate 1 on two other separate occasions throughout the day. Today was fine and constipation is back because of it. Definitely ruined my 4th of July with the what ifs. After I put cdiff in the rear view I haven’t given much thought to it, but the anxiety was on high alert yesterday. Had I not have stopped it with pepto who knows what may have happened.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:27 pm

I'm glad the pepto worked, and I hope you're feeling better and all is well now.

Rev1119
Contributor

Postby Rev1119 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:05 am

D1 Dad how are you feeling now? Hope you are feeling okay after the bactrim. ( I am 9 months out from C. Diff and potentially have an infection from a splinter in the ball of my foot. Going to doc tomorrow & to say I am scared would be an understatement). Was doxycycline offered as an option as well? I heard that was also a "lower risk" antibiotic for foot infections.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:59 am

I’m good. I only took the bactrim till the foot was better so about 7 pills in all. I had 1 day that spooked me a bit but a couple of pepto tabs cleared it up. I made sure I took 2 florastor a day and added whole grain breads to firm things up. Doxy was an option but he wanted to clear it fast and bactrim did just that. I’d do some epsom salt soaks and try and squeeze the infection out if at all possible. When I cut mine I was also in a ditch that had lord knows what kind of bacteria in it. This was honestly the first time I ever had a cut get infected and turn that fast.

Rev1119
Contributor

Postby Rev1119 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:30 am

Glad that you are okay and that you did not have to take too many antibiotics - sounds like you have a very good doctor. (As for me, my orthopedist said no infection (pain is due to splinter going in vertically) and it will just take a little more time to heal)

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:56 am

That’s good to hear. Sounds like your doc isn’t an AB pusher either.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”