Topical Antibiotics- Relapse Risk?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
andy2007
Regular User

Topical Antibiotics- Relapse Risk?

Postby andy2007 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:51 am

Hi

I’m almost 6 months post vanco. I have had a lot of good help from here and I could really use some advice or reassurance now.
I have a nasal infection and have been using neosporin for six days, three times a day. This was my doctor’s advice and he prescribed it. Today I started with diarrhea and mucus. I do suffer from IBS and have had many recent flares. It could just be this as I am very stressed and that is my trigger, but I am terribly worried.
I have read everything I can about this medicine and if it can trigger a relapse. There isn’t really anything in the literature about it. I read all the old posts on here too. I just wondered if anyone knew anything else. How likely could it be to cause a relapse? I am really anxious so any info would be great.

Andrew

NS789
Regular Contributor

Re: Topical Antibiotics- Relapse Risk?

Postby NS789 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:51 am

Hi Andy,

I wouldn't worry too much about neosporin. I doubt very much of it (if any) would get absorbed into your system and cause any problems. Given your history of IBS, I would suspect you're just experiencing a flare of that. As always though, keep an eye on it.
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:31 pm

Andy, used neosporin many times without a problem. Agree probably IBS but see a doc if this continues.

andy2007
Regular User

Postby andy2007 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:08 am

Thanks.
Hopefully it’s just IBS. I’ve had quite a few false alarms. I was worried about the neosporin because I am putting it in my nose. I was worried that there is a greater chance of more of it being absorbed. I couldn’t find any accounts of it causing c diff but I imagine there is a small risk.
My nose infection isn’t healed yet either so I need to keep using it. My doctor said that if it didn’t clear up, then he might have to try an oral antibiotic. He mentioned doxycycline. That will mean more anxiety. Anyone know the risk with that?

Andrew

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:40 am

I used to put Neosporin in my nose too per doctor's advice and never had a problem. Actually even Neomycin taken orally is a low offender.

andy2007
Regular User

Postby andy2007 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:35 am

Anyone have any knowledge of doxycycline? I might have to take it if this infection doesn’t clear up. I think it’s a low offender.

Andrew

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:06 am

Dr should test to see if the infection is caused by bacteria before prescribing antibiotics.
Only you know if the risk of medicating your whole body for what sounds like a minor problem is worth the risk.
Antibiotics can be lifesavers but someone who has had full blown c.diff should treat all of them with caution for minor " infections" that are normaly self limiting.
Our bodys are self healing and dont need medication for every minor illness.
like I said though.
ONLY you can decide!

andy2007
Regular User

Postby andy2007 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:35 am

Thanks Roy

It was a minor infection but I didn’t want to risk it spreading to sinuses. I have had it before and that happened.
Also scared myself silly now after reading about neosporin and it’s association with hearing loss. Anyone know if there is a significant risk with using it topically for just less than a week?

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:13 am

I recently developed a staff infection. My Dr. was going to prescribe an oral antibiotic, until she read my chart (I am 5 mos. Post Vanco). Instead she prescribed Mupirocin, a topical antibiotic. I freaked out when I read the info sheet that came with the prescription- C Diff was listed as a potential side effect. My ID doctor thought it was fairly low risk and definitely preferable to oral antibiotics, but to keep an eye on symptoms. I've been using it 4 weeks and so far so good.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:58 pm

Neosporin is used on babies. I don't think there is a risk for hearing loss with topical treatment, but check with the doctor if you are worried.

I have used Mupirocin too. I had an infection on my hand and the doctor, knowing my c diff history, said to give the Mupirocin 24 hrs to see if it would work. It did and I had to use it for about 2 weeks. I have used it since then on some cuts, etc. and never had an issue.

I have used doxycycline without problems after c diff as well. My mom, who had c diff too, had to be on doxy for a month for a skin infection when she was at a nursing home and in her 90s. She did not get a relapse of c diff. If you can do without it, so much the better, but it is one of the lower offenders.

andy2007
Regular User

Postby andy2007 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:54 am

Thanks for the positive reassurances everyone.
Hopefully it’s just IBS. I have read everything I can about it. There doesn’t seem to be any info about neosporin containing bacitracin/neomycin causing c diff. There is a warning in the leaflet with it that mentions c diff, but I thought that was probably included with all antibiotics. All the cases of topical antibiotics causing c diff which I found, involved clindamycin.
I did use the neosporin for six days in my nose so that’s why I was concerned. I know there is a slight risk, but it had to be treated.
I did take a third of an Imodium pill yesterday which I now realise I maybe shouldn’t have. I won’t do this again. This third of a pill totally stopped the loose bm and I have had normal bm today. I also feel fine so hopefully that’s a good sign.
Thanks again.

Andrew

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”