Severe Cramps - a relapse or PI-IBS?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Severe Cramps - a relapse or PI-IBS?

Postby Ali-Mar » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:54 pm

On Saturday morning, around 7:00 AM, I woke up due to abdominal pain that led to a BM, started with some mucus, and semi-formed sorry for TMI. Mucus is not my norm and haven't had abdominal pain for almost a week prior to that ...

What concerned me was; few hours late around 1:00 PM, I had severe cramps, 5 or 6 on the scale, out of 10. That also led to loose, mushy, and mucus BM .. as mentioned, mucus is not my norm, I had mucus and severe cramps only when had an active C-Diff ..

I have been on Dificid taper for over 4 weeks, and last time I relapsed, it was one day shy of 5 weeks post Vanco...I was very sure that I was relapsing since it was close to a similar time that I relapsed last time ( 4 weeks post regular dose) and also had severe cramps and some mucus. It was not as much much as the last time, but I thought that might be due to that I am still on Dificid taper. So I switched to 2 pills per day instead of one every 48 days.. That was the dr original l instruction to switch to a regular dose of Dificid when relapsing. The cramping was relieved after the BM. The abdominal pain continued all Saturday and all day Sunday. All week last week, I hardy had abdominal pain... Today, I had one BM and little mucus no more cramping and no more abdominal pain. I have been taking 2 pills per day for a total of 3 days now.

I called the dr office today and waiting to hear back.

Can PI-IBS cause SEVERE Cramps?

BTW, I am still on a bland diet - the only thing different I did Friday night dinner, I had more rice than usual, I had twice as much, I had 4 cups of rice instead of 2 cups that I normally have, mash potato, quinoa, chicken breast, sauerkraut and green beans
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Re: Severe Cramps - a relapse or PI-IBS?

Postby poppy86 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:03 pm

I'm sorry you're having those cramps. In my experience, and from what I read, IBS can definitely have bad cramping, which is relieved with a BM. But it can vary greatly from person to person. I really hope you're not relapsing and that this is just part of recovery. It's so confusing dealing with all of this.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Severe Cramps - a relapse or PI-IBS?

Postby beth22 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:51 pm

I wonder if something is going around because I am usually C and last week was having M and more frequent bms too. I had been having on and off symptoms for over a week, called the GI and he had me test. The c diff was negative and so was the culture. PI-IBS can certainly cause your symptoms, but a virus can too. Try to eat bland foods for a few days and see if that helps. I took Pepto Bismol and that helped me. Will see how things are in the next few days, but I am due for a colonoscopy (UGH) as I had one 10years ago. I know some people have said that Dificid is hard on the GI tract too. When I was on vanco tapers, the vanco irritated my colon too and caused cramping and looser stools at times as well. Maybe the Dificid is doing that to you.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”