Update on my PI-IBS

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
poppy86
Regular Contributor

Update on my PI-IBS

Postby poppy86 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:19 pm

It has now been 8 days since I took the last pill of my vancomycin taper. I've been doing generally okay. My sigmoidoscopy two weeks ago showed no inflammation, just some very irritated internal hemorrhoids, which are the source of my bleeding. The doctor said I have PI-IBS and the hemorrhoids. Some days I have 2 or 3 BMs, others 5 or 6. The past couple days I had to go frequently, which made the hemorrhoids flare up a lot. I also have a lot of gas and rumbling still. And today I had a couple times where all I passed was blood and mucus, which is apparently "normal" for me to have when things are flaring up.

I noticed my symptoms worsen a lot in the week or so before my period starts. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm also very anxious, and that's clearly not helping matters.

Elvish2
Contributor

Re: Update on my PI-IBS

Postby Elvish2 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:38 pm

It's really a roller-coaster, isn't it... I can't comment too much on specific symptoms, but I also notice that a week or so before my period, my IBS-type symptoms worsen, which I think is fairly normal. Was your doctor able to prescribe anything to help the hemorrhoids settle down? I found that using Prep-H wipes helped me with preventing worse flare-ups. Once they're really irritated, it takes a while for things to settle down, and of course more bathroom trips = more irritation.
2011: contracted c-diff after taking Amoxicillin and Cipro. Successfully treated with Flagyl taper. (Posts under old username, Elvish)

2020: contracted c-diff after taking Augmentin. Finished Dificid taper/pulse on 3/15.

Elvish2
Contributor

Postby Elvish2 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:45 pm

Also, I really hear you about the anxiety. I definitely have had anxiety this go around as well, but the first time I had c-diff, my anxiety was *massive*. It felt like I was going out of my mind. Sometimes, it's part of the whole illness and recovery process - we've been through so much physically and mentally, and it can feel like we have no control.

I can tell you from someone who's been there that things will get better. Has your doctor recommended trying something like short term anti-anxiety medication (like Ativan) or talking to a therapist? Even just trying to do easy self-care things that are not bathroom-related, like Netflix and coloring, to distract yourself as much as possible may be helpful, based on my experience.
2011: contracted c-diff after taking Amoxicillin and Cipro. Successfully treated with Flagyl taper. (Posts under old username, Elvish)

2020: contracted c-diff after taking Augmentin. Finished Dificid taper/pulse on 3/15.

jG43
Contributor

Postby jG43 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:29 pm

Anxiety is so common with cdiff. It is so hard dealing with the constant worry of relapse. My doctor prescribed klonopin which I used occasionally when my anxiety got really bad. Anxiety meds really helped me in the short term but they are not really recommended for long term use. When my internal hems flare up I find relief with sitting in a bathtub with a few inches of hot water with epsom salt. Glad to hear you are in recovery.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:32 am

Thank you for your replies Elvish2 and JG43, I appreciate the support. My doctor prescribed Klonopin actually, but I haven't taken any yet. I probably should give it a try. The anxiety has been brutal. This morning I had two BMs so far, one formed, the other very loose/watery, possibly because I ate some fatty steak for dinner last night. But it has sent my anxiety through the roof. I'm stressed due to other issues as well, so that's taking an additional toll. I try to calm myself by reading and watching movies and tv shows, and I take a walk every day.

The hemorrhoids settle down, then flare up again every few days depending on how often I have to go to the bathroom. The doctor suggested baths, which give me some relief. It has now been 12 days since I finished the vanco taper.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:35 am

Your gonna have days like this so don’t sweat it. I had a ribeye for lunch and Popeyes doused in hot sauce yesterday and am glad I’m working from home today. I celebrated a year this last April and still have days where I’m sitting on the crapper with my eyes crossed breaking out in a full blown sweat. Everyday out puts you 1 day further away from the nightmare. I’m most proud of the fact that I haven’t had to have my antibiotic fix in over a year. Your gonna make it but your gonna be mind censored for quite a few months, I know I was.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:52 am

Thanks for your reply D1dad. The recovery process has been quite a challenge.

I had D three times this morning and I'm really scared now :(. I hope it goes away and was just due to something I ate for dinner last night.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:14 pm

Poppy86,

Start a food diary. It will help identify the foods that might be the culprit.

Yes, recovery is often as challenging as the disease. See the Three Day Rule.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:06 pm

Thank you for your reply Bobbie, I will start keeping track of the foods I eat and their effect. I actually just had a more solid BM and so feel a bit better. The ups and downs are very unnerving.

I'm pretty sure I know what the reason for this morning's D was, I had another steak for dinner yesterday. It was our anniversary, and my husband wanted steak, and so that's what we ate. It doesn't agree with me at all. I need to be more careful what I eat. When I have D, it aggravates the hemorrhoids a lot and causes a flare that is painful and distressing for me because they bleed. And when that occurs, I tend to get extremely anxious, which worsens all the symptoms, and it's a vicious cycle.

Taking it one day at a time, it has now been 20 days since I finished the vanco taper. This forum has been very helpful to me.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:46 pm

Call your GI and ask for a prescription for your hemorrhoids. That part is an easy fix and very common.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:44 am

I just had D three times this morning, and I'm so afraid of relapse :(. I don't think I ate anything unusual yesterday.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:35 am

So sorry to hear you are having a bad day, and I hope it is just that. How long it has been since you finished your Vanco taper? Is there mucus with D? In my case I always have mucus when I have an active C Diff
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:31 am

Thanks for your reply Ali-Mar. There is mucus, but for me, mucus has been an IBS symptom throughout, so it's hard to tell. It has been 25 days since I finished the vanco taper.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:35 am

It has now been 29 days since I finished the vanco. I'm continuing to take things one day at a time and trying to be more mindful of what I eat. Also working on managing the anxiety.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:32 pm

Today is 5 weeks since I finished the vanco taper. I'm working on managing my anxiety, with some days better than others. The BMs are all over the place, but I'm adhering to the 3-day rule and just trying to take it one day at a time. I have a telehealth appointment with my gastroenterologist this Friday, and I have some questions I plan to ask him then. Some days I have more energy and can get more done, and other days I am so exhausted I can hardly do anything at all. My husband is dealing with some complications due to his Crohn's, and we're both very stressed.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”