Any advice on these antibiotics?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
andy2007
Regular User

Any advice on these antibiotics?

Postby andy2007 » Sat May 23, 2020 1:09 pm

Hi all

I’m almost five months post vanco. Had some bad post infection IBS recently but a recent stool test confirmed I’m still negative for c Diff.
I have a small infection on my finger which the doctor says is paronychia. The first doctor I saw tried to push oral antibiotics on me even though it is mild. I got a second opinion today and this doctor prescribed fusidic acid which is a topical antibiotic. This doctor knew about c diff and thought it best to avoid oral antibiotics unless it was severe. Even if it developed pus he said that as long as it was drained, it would get better and not need oral antibiotics. Hopefully warm soaks and the cream will do it. I think I’ve had these before and they cleared up on their own, but this one is really sore.
I just wondered, if it got worse and I did need antibiotics, which ones could treat this kind of skin infection and be relatively safe. I have checked the info section, but I also wondered about some others not listed there.
Anyone know about flucloxacillin or doxycycline? From what I have read they appear to be low offenders and treat skin infections.
Any info or suggestions would be appreciated. Really hoping it won’t be necessary.

Andrew

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Re: Any advice on these antibiotics?

Postby D1dad » Thu May 28, 2020 9:17 am

From what I know doxy seems to be the lowest offender. I had a pretty nasty ingrown to nail and very hot epsom salt soaks and a little bit of home surgery took care of it. I literally dug a half inch pice of nail under the nail bed. I also used neosporin but my family doc suggested Vaseline which was strange but worked as well if not better than a topical ointment.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”