Keflex GBS scared of recurrence survival stories HELP

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
cake918
Regular User

Keflex GBS scared of recurrence survival stories HELP

Postby cake918 » Tue May 12, 2020 8:02 pm

I have been diagnosed with GBS UTI and my options are amoxicillin or Keflex. 2.5 years ago I got cdiff from amoxicillin treatment for a GBS UTI. Has anyone survived keflex post Cdiff? I’m going to beg for vanco, for those that took both what was your dosing?

NS789
Regular Contributor

Re: Keflex GBS scared of recurrence survival stories HELP

Postby NS789 » Tue May 12, 2020 8:16 pm

Have you mentioned to your doctor that you've had c diff in the past? That might determine what antibiotic they decide to give to you.
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

cake918
Regular User

Postby cake918 » Tue May 12, 2020 8:26 pm

The GBS UTI can only be treated with either amoxicillin or keflex. I had it cultured and the sensitivity shows those two are effective. Culture was over 100,000. My GI doc said I’m too far out far her to prescribe vanco and she said she would only prescribe again if I had a positive cdiff test. I’m now going to beg my pcp for the vanco piggy back.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Tue May 12, 2020 9:04 pm

I am new to this and still learning, but I searched for Keflex on this site and found few posters that taken Keflex and didn’t relapse. I think one took probiotics with it and the other Vanco. I think there is one that relapsed. Search for “Keflex “ and you sill see many posts
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Tue May 12, 2020 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue May 12, 2020 9:20 pm

This is very individual, talk with your GI and MD about dosage and how long you need to be treated. I will tell you I unfortunately had 3 infections this year. All of them needed treatment. All 3 required antibiotics post culture and Keflex was the medication I took.

It's been 5 years since I had CDIFF. The first two infections I did fine. The 3rd which went to the kidneys was treated longer, there was no option for me. That was in March. I did get CDIFF 2 weeks later.

I went in with a very positive attitude and tried to let go of the fear. I do have CDIFF right now and I am finishing up Dificid. My experience has been much better than 5 years ago. I have an excellent ID who carefully looked at my history.

I also had taken Keflex in 2015 with no issues.

Talk with your doctors, several on the site have had to take antibiotics and done just fine

Wishing you the best

NanciT

cake918
Regular User

Postby cake918 » Tue May 12, 2020 9:52 pm

I feel like I would prefer to die than take the abx again. I’m so sad and angry. If my MD won’t give me the piggy back I’ll let it progress and go to the hospital for IV vanco instead. I can not go through cdiff again.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Tue May 19, 2020 1:10 am

I haven't taken Keflex post-C. diff, now seven-plus years ago. However, I took it a number of times in the years that preceded C. diff, to treat infection or suspected infection due to chronic lymphedema in one of my arms, and had no ill effects from it.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”