Manuka Kills C-Diff and reduce IBS?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sat May 09, 2020 6:15 pm

Has anyone used Manuka for C-Diff and PI-iBS?

""Manuka honey has been proven to improve antioxidant status and reduce inflammation in rats with both IBS and ulcerative colitis, a type of inflammatory bowel disease (21Trusted Source). It has also been shown to attack strains of Clostridium difficile.

Clostridium difficile, often called C. diff, is a type of bacterial infection that causes severe diarrhea and inflammation of the bowel.

C. diff is commonly treated with antibiotics. However, a recent study observed the effectiveness of manuka honey on C. diff strains.

Manuka honey killed C. diff cells, making it a possibly effective treatment (22Trusted Source).""

Here is the full arrticle

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ma ... s#section5
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Sat May 09, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sat May 09, 2020 6:40 pm

Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Manuka Kills C-Diff and reduce IBS?

Postby NanciT » Sat May 09, 2020 7:51 pm

There has been a great deal of research on Manuka honey for various things. I started using it the first time I had CDIFF in 2014/15. I did not take it for CDIFF but instead for GERD and find it helps a great deal.

Now I have CDIFF again and I am finishing Dificid, I once again started taking it for GERD. I had alot of Post IBS last time so we will see how it goes this time.

It is also used as wound care and has been for some time.

I believe it has helped me in various ways

NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat May 09, 2020 8:05 pm

Theres thousands of "studies" on the internet that all add a little knowlage about c.diff, some good some bad but none of them are much use to current sufferers.
Some are true but LOTS of them are misguiding.
It's best to be guided by your Dr if you want to try anything.
Manuka has been posted about before so use the search box to find past opinions.
Also your posts about calcium are unproven.
In fact if calcium causes spores to germinate that might be seen as a plus!
Active c.diff can be killed by antibiotics, spores can not be killed!
My thoughts are that you dont want to stop spores germinating, you want them to "hatch" so treatment can kill them.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sat May 09, 2020 9:05 pm

Roy,
Yes, absolutely, I was taking 600 Mg of Calcium supplement per day when i was on my regular dose of Dificid, but i stopped when I went on the lower taper dose,

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:21 am

I tried everything from praying to licking door knobs at airports, well not really. The only thing that worked was flagyl and time.i had a bad ER doc so had no choice on the flagyl, but 17 days of that poison and it worked. Whether it’s a poop transfusion or dificid, you will get over it.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:44 pm

Resurrecting this post in case anyone still around to ask… if Manuka honey kills bacteria, might it not kill the good stuff and risk a relapse? I’ve been advised to take it to help with Long Covid and am nervous.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:34 pm

I have used Manuka Honey for many things including Post CDIFF IBS. I love it, I buy high quality on Amazon but research the honey and make sure its a high quality. We have used Manuka Dressing for years on Burns in Nursing. It is amazing

NanciT

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:24 am

That’s great to hear, thanks Nanci.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:36 am

I’m using it right now in my saline neti pot with 1tsp of manukah. I got Covid, well at least I tested positive for Covid for the 3rd time. This time was the same symptoms as before, the soles of my feet ached horribly and an awful sore throat. Unlike before it’s turned into a cold on steroids instead of the symptoms I had with delta and omicron. Went through 250 Kleenex in 2 days, achy back and hips, no fever or cough though. I’m trying to stave off a sinus infection which I’ve always been prone to.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:05 pm

So sorry to hear that. Are you taking Paxlovid or beating it on your own?

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:35 am

Just letting it run its course. By the time I tested I was beyond the point of paxlovid. They say this new variant doesn’t cause loss of taste and smell, I call BS. It’s like someone flipped a switch, just like delta, but half as bad. Minus that it just feels like a really bad cold.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:41 am

I hope you get over it quickly. I know a lot of people that have had it recently and are okay now.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:20 am

Felt better in a few days and then the pounding headache and yellow nasal discharge set in. Praying this goes away without needing an antibiotic. Not so sure this morning. Ugh!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”