Hopefully Not Round Three

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Zay
Regular User

Hopefully Not Round Three

Postby Zay » Fri May 08, 2020 6:52 pm

Been sick the last three days with loose stools, right side pain, and that icky swollen feeling, and nausea, and fatigue. Doctor called for a cdiff test, a cbc test, and a liver function test as she is potentially worried about the gallbladder and what not because of the pain under the right ribs. Did the blood tests today, have to bring the frozen cup of ick to Quest labs tomorrow.

I am not sure at this point what I am more worried about...cdiff, gallbladder, or liver issues.

The weird thing is, I haven't been around anyone with cdiff, no antibiotics, I wash my hands like crazy, no oral sex, and my house is cleaned in bleach. I eat healthy (including prebiotics) and take about 20 billion probiotics a day.l, no public bathrooms, no hands in the mouth. Does cdiff just randomly happen once you have had it before? A doctor had me on miralax for a while because of severe constipation, but it should be out of my system. Can that cause reoccurrence/relapse?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Hopefully Not Round Three

Postby NanciT » Mon May 11, 2020 8:02 pm

Sorry for the late reply on this.

As far as I know, Miralax can't cause CDIFF. I was on it for 2 years post CDIFF with no issues. Hopefully you have had your tests results and all is well

NanciT

Zay
Regular User

Postby Zay » Tue May 12, 2020 2:54 pm

I actually just got my results today! My blood work is good and negative on the cdiff toxins and GDH antigen is also negative. Not sure what the last one is.

So, that's good at least! Just don't know what the problem is. I am just gonna assume my guts are so messed up from everything.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Tue May 12, 2020 4:28 pm

That is great news - based on CDC website most recurrence are within the 1st 8 weeks post treatment, it looks like you are well past that window. The GDH Antigen is the presence of the C-Diff bacteria. It is to test to see if the person is "Carrier" of the bacteria. A person can be a carrier but not have an active CDI
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Zay
Regular User

Postby Zay » Tue May 12, 2020 8:11 pm

I had read that, but got worried just because of the three rule. But the tests came back all fine, despite everything, so I am not sure what's going on. I'm sure itll pass though (no pun intended).

Thank you for explaining that to me! I am still fairly new with all this and not quite caught up on everything.

twoscoop
New User

Postby twoscoop » Tue May 17, 2022 7:47 pm

NanciT wrote:
> Sorry for the late reply on this.
>
> As far as I know, Miralax can't cause CDIFF. I was on it for 2 years post
> CDIFF with no issues. Hopefully you have had your tests results and all is
> well
>
> NanciT

Sorry this is a really old post but curious as to why you were talking miralax for 2 years after your cdiff infection? After cdiff, I became constipated where it comes out in clumps/balls (dealt with fissure bleeding for a year). Did you have the same issue too? Hope you are doing much better nowadays!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed May 18, 2022 9:53 am

Yes, Similar. I had CDIFF in 2014-2015 for a full year and it took a long time to recover. When I finally did, I was left with a fissure and a hernia. Saw a colorectal surgeon who recommended the miralax. Finally all went well until CDIFF returned after IV antibiotics in the hospital 2020

Finally back to "normal" with IBS on and off.

NanciT

twoscoop
New User

Postby twoscoop » Wed May 18, 2022 3:28 pm

NanciT wrote:
> Yes, Similar. I had CDIFF in 2014-2015 for a full year and it took a long
> time to recover. When I finally did, I was left with a fissure and a
> hernia. Saw a colorectal surgeon who recommended the miralax. Finally all
> went well until CDIFF returned after IV antibiotics in the hospital 2020
>
> Finally back to "normal" with IBS on and off.
>
> NanciT

Hi there. Thank you for the reply. Do you mind sharing me your recovery experience? I should've started miralax sooner for the fissure but I was concerned about cdiff returning. I'm no longer bleeding and my fissure seems to be doing better but I know once I stop it, it'll just re-tear. Since you aren't taking miralax anymore, what helped you get off of it? Is it really just time? High fiber, low fiber, water intake, exercise. None of that helps soften my stools. I don't want to be dependent on miralax although all types of doctors I've seen said it was safe long term.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”