Vanco taper, update

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
poppy86
Regular Contributor

Vanco taper, update

Postby poppy86 » Thu May 07, 2020 2:36 pm

I'm currently in the middle of a vanco taper after relapsing 3 weeks ago. Today I switched to 1 pill a day after having taken 2 pills a day for the past week. The past few days I've felt mostly okay, with solid BMs, on average 3 a day. I still have occasional blood on the BMs, but my gastroenterologist is pretty sure it's due to internal hemorrhoids. Today I already went 4 times, and the last was a bit looser than I'd like. I also have a lot of gas, gurgling, and rumbling in my gut, so I'm feeling stressed out. Last night for dinner I ate some foods I don't typically eat, so maybe it's due to that.

In any case, I'm taking it one day at a time, trying to stay hopeful and keep myself busy and distracted. I keep regretting taking the clindamycin in February that led to all this. But of course, at the time I had no idea it could lead to c-diff.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Re: Vanco taper, update

Postby Ali-Mar » Thu May 07, 2020 11:04 pm

Sorry to hear you are having a bad day, it sound like its something you eat or maybe stress due to going down to one pill /day. I say stress, because I also finished my regular Dificid dose yesterday and today is my first taper day, I had one pill in last 30 hours or so... I am very nervous and stressed so much, the growling , gurgling, and rumbling sound is freaking me out. I am constantly worried...

I had a chicken sandwich at Wendy's at Houston airport S Terminal on Feb 4, 2020 while waiting for my connection, and around 30-40 hours later I was very sick, had severe WD 15+ time per day, so much cramping and pain, I was up all night.The sandwich tasted so bad but at the time I thought it was the taste of the hand sanitizer that I used on my hand right before eating. 25 days prior to that I was at my hygienist for regular dental cleaning and she suggested to inject minocycline antibiotic under my gum. I told her that I rather not, but she insisted that it is localized and it is harmless.. Everyday, I keep thinking back and regrading to allow the antibiotic injection and regarding having the sandwich..........
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Fri May 08, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri May 08, 2020 1:02 pm

Ali-Mar and Poppy86,

Don't beat yourself up. No second guessing! You are doing the best you can under extreme pressures.

A former second guesser

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Tue May 12, 2020 4:36 pm

Thank you for your replies Ali-Mar and Bobbie, I apologize for taking so long to respond. I'm now on day 6 of taking one vanco pill a day. Doing generally okay. The past few days I've had 3-4 BMs a day. There is occasionally some blood and a little mucus on the toilet paper, but it's solid. I'm staying as hopeful and positive as I can. On Thursday I start the end of my taper, which will be one pill every other day for two weeks.

I continue to wash my hands constantly and bleach the bathroom several times a week. I still have a lot of gas/rumbling/gurgling, regardless of what I eat. My doctor told me to eat a bigger variety of foods, so I'm trying to do that. I'm doing my best not to second-guess myself. Ali-Mar, I hope the dificid taper works for you and you make a full recovery.

NS789
Regular Contributor

Postby NS789 » Tue May 12, 2020 8:14 pm

Stay positive, poppy. It wouldn't be unusual to have a couple of "off" days during your treatment. It will take time for your system to heal. Keep an eye on things and if you have prolonged issues, it might be worth checking in with your doctor. If the Vanco fails, there is still the option of Dificid, which has worked for many people. I hope you feel better soon!
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Wed May 13, 2020 9:19 am

Thanks NS789, I really hope this taper works. I had 4 BMs so far this morning already, and the last was a little loose, so I'm concerned. I feel like I'll have to go again soon. Just really want to be past all this and feeling better.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Wed May 13, 2020 5:08 pm

I just went again, and this time it was floaty, sorry for tmi lol. Does it matter if it sinks or floats?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed May 13, 2020 5:48 pm

Only if you need it as a submarine!

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:09 pm

Good to know! lol

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Thu May 14, 2020 9:02 am

I had 3 BMs so far this morning, and the first two were solid. But the third was D, with a lot of blood :(. I called the doctor and I'm waiting to hear back. I don't know what to think of this. I'm hoping it's just a one-time thing and goes away.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Thu May 14, 2020 10:59 am

Sorry to hear that - was is it light color and on the tissue? if so it cloud be fissure or hemorrhoid?
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Thu May 14, 2020 12:25 pm

It was bright red blood, both on the tissue and on the stool itself. My doctor ordered a stool sample, so I'll get that done soon.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Thu May 14, 2020 12:38 pm

I have no doubt it's a relapse, I just had another BM and it was nothing but bloody mucus. I was so hopeful the vanco taper would work, but I relapsed after being on 1 pill a day for a week. This is so horrible :(.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Thu May 14, 2020 12:44 pm

Please, if anyone can give me some hope that I'll get better, I would appreciate it. I'm so scared right now, the stuff coming out of me is horrific. I need some hope.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Thu May 14, 2020 12:46 pm

I'm headed to the lab to pick up the stool sample kit, I'll report back when the results are in.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”