Dificid taper lightheaded and dizziness

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Dificid taper lightheaded and dizziness

Postby Ali-Mar » Thu May 07, 2020 2:06 pm

I was on Flagyl for 8 days, and switched to Vanco . I took Vanco for 10 days, and relapsed 4 and half weeks post Vanco.

I finished my 10 day regular Dificid dose yesterday, 2 /day for 10 days, and today I am starting my taper. Therefore, in last 24 hours I had only 1 pill instead of two. I was doing great while on regular dose of Dificid but today for first time since I started dificid, I am feeling lightheaded and dizzy, it is worrisome and freaking me out . There is no change in bowel or abdominal pain, just dizziness.

Did anyone else feel dizzy and lightheaded when going from two pill per day to taper?
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Re: Dificid taper lightheaded and dizziness

Postby poppy86 » Thu May 07, 2020 2:33 pm

I only took vanco, not dificid, but it could be the lightheadedness and dizziness is totally unrelated to the dificid taper, or it could be a side effect of the medicine. I hope you feel better soon.

Elvish2
Contributor

Postby Elvish2 » Fri May 08, 2020 2:05 pm

Hi Ali-Mar, how are you doing today? It was also rough for me tapering down to a lower dose of Dificid - I was so nervous, and a few days in called my GI certain that I was about to relapse (I haven't yet, nearly 8 weeks out from finishing medication). I believe I experienced some lightheadedness, too, and attributed it to the stress and exhaustion that goes hand-in-hand with c-diff recovery. Of course, consult your doctor if it's worrisome or persists. You will get through this!
2011: contracted c-diff after taking Amoxicillin and Cipro. Successfully treated with Flagyl taper. (Posts under old username, Elvish)

2020: contracted c-diff after taking Augmentin. Finished Dificid taper/pulse on 3/15.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sat May 09, 2020 12:07 am

Thanks Elvish,

Based on the CDC website, the relapes are within the frist 8 weeks post treatment. So I think you sGoulding worry about relapse anymore

https://www.cdc.gov/cdiff/after.html

I also thought it might be the worrisome and stress duet to going to a lower dose. I am doing okay for most part, but I have been having too much tenesmus since I went to a lower dose of Dificid. It is all day, and very concerning
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Elvish2
Contributor

Postby Elvish2 » Sat May 09, 2020 1:06 am

I think that's just part of the recovery, honestly - I've experienced it on and off throughout. Your body's going through an adjustment, and it takes time to heal. For me, every week has gotten better slowly but surely.
2011: contracted c-diff after taking Amoxicillin and Cipro. Successfully treated with Flagyl taper. (Posts under old username, Elvish)

2020: contracted c-diff after taking Augmentin. Finished Dificid taper/pulse on 3/15.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”