Can gastroenteritis trigger a relapse?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
andy2007
Regular User

Can gastroenteritis trigger a relapse?

Postby andy2007 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:29 pm

Hi everyone.

I just posted two days ago about how well my recovery was going and now I feel like I may have tempted fate and feel a bit of an idiot. After weeks of normal bm I have been hit with watery d and right side abdominal cramps or pain. It came on after lunch this afternoon. I don’t have any b or m like I did when I first got c.diff. I’m really hoping this could be something which passes in a day or two, but of course I am worried about a relapse. I am almost four months post vanco and haven’t taken any antibiotics or have any risk factors.
I have scared myself silly reading stories on these boards where people have said they relapsed after months. I also read that someone said having gastroenteritis could trigger a relapse.
How common is a relapse at 15+ weeks, and can a stomach bug upset flora enough to trigger a relapse? I did have negative tests post vanco so according to the doctor at that time I don’t carry c.diff anymore.
Hopefully it’s just a 24 hour thing or a very bad Ibs flare up. Anyone have any experience with bugs or infections early after clearing c.diff?

Andrew
Last edited by andy2007 on Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: New Worries

Postby Ril » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:53 pm

It is still possible to have a recurrence but unusual. It is more likely IBS or a bug. And no, gastroenteritis does not trigger a relapse or recurrence.

If you only had 1 episode of watery d I would certainly not panic, even though that’s what we all do....for quite some time. Try to follow the 3 day rule- 3 or more episodes of d for 3 days, before you get concerned enough to act, unless you get quite ill quickly, in which case you contact the dr.

Try to stay calm as anxiety can cause things to get worse.
Rita

andy2007
Regular User

Re: New Worries

Postby andy2007 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:18 pm

Ok thanks

I had a couple of episodes of watery d yesterday. I will see what today brings. I couldn’t find anything on the internet which says that gastroenteritis can disrupt gut flora enough to allow c. diff to take hold again, but I did read it on here. This was from someone who had been told this by their doctor. It kind of seems theoretically possible. Hopefully it’s a 24 hour thing, but I don’t have any vomiting or a fever so I don’t know. I know that I wasn’t able to keep my dinner down yesterday for even two hours so something was trying to expel that food as quickly as possible. Hopefully not c.diff.
Just how likely is a recurrence at this stage? Is there a percentage chance? And, can anyone else weigh in on whether bugs or viruses can trigger relapses? Any help would be appreciated as I am stressed out again.

Andrew

andy2007
Regular User

Re: Can gastroenteritis trigger a relapse?

Postby andy2007 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:51 am

Hi

Well I was fine last night and even had a small formed bm. Today has not been good. I expected the first bm of the day to be normal after not going for 20 hours. I have wd and have been quite a few times already. Not really sure what to do. Monday I had d, Tuesday was mixed and now wd again. Could this be a relapse, ibs, or some bug? There is some mucus, but not really like when I had the infection the first time. I’m really confused and worried. Any advice?

Andrew

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:17 am

Hopefully it is just PI-IBS. Can you get tested just to conform it is not C-Diff ? That is what I would do.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

andy2007
Regular User

Postby andy2007 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:36 am

I will see my doctor shortly. I can do a stool sample tomorrow so results will probably take a few days. Really not sure what is going on. Last bm was small and formed but some undigested food in there. The smell reminded me of c diff. I thought if it was c diff though it would be worsening each day. Mine seems to be up and down with some wd and formed bm. Is this possible?
Very worried but just hoping it’s a weird bug which messed up my system. This is technically the third day, but tomorrow afternoon will be a full three days.

Andrew

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:48 am

Andy,
The result are reported in few hours. I dropped off a sample on Saturday AM and the result was reported to my dr Saturday PM (same day) and I got the result on Sunday AM ( 24 hours later) in MyScripps portal

Hopefully it is just bug, but I would do a test to make sure
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

andy2007
Regular User

Postby andy2007 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:51 am

Hi

Thanks. I’m not in the states. I live in Taiwan. It’s night time now. My doctor is very popular so I got in to see him today but am the last patient on his evening shift. I will get to see him in a while.I’m guessing I will submit a sample tomorrow morning. Not sure about results. And yes, I’m hoping it’s a bug too.

Andrew

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:03 am

Good luck Andy, yes I read some of your old posts you have a similar story to mine. How long a go did you complete the treatment? Were you also on Vanco. I relapsed 5 weeks post Vanco (on Friday ) and today is my 3rd day on Difcid.. Difcid seems to work faster than Vacno, on the 2nd I started seeing some improvement

andy2007
Regular User

Postby andy2007 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:31 am

Hi

I finished vanco 15 weeks ago and have been totally fine for the last month. I just saw my doctor. He doesn’t think I have a recurrence, but I will test anyway. He thinks it is likely a bug. My last tests in February were both negative so if I did get it again it would have been from outside somehow. I haven’t had antibiotics, visited hospitals or have any risk factors. Will get the new results in a few days.

Andrew

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:18 am

I would ask to be tested with a stool culture as well for other pathogens and maybe even a test for ova and parasites. If you are going to test, might as well do all the tests to see where you stand.

andy2007
Regular User

Postby andy2007 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:05 am

Thanks Beth.

Damn. I forgot to ask the doctor to check for everything. I was stressed and had so many other questions. I know they are doing a stool culture for diff. Is it standard to check for other pathogens as well? Hope so.

Andrew

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”