Starting Dificid today

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Starting Dificid today

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:37 pm

I ralpased 5 weeks post Vanco on Thursday got my test result back today, Toxin B is positive. At my request my family Dr prescribed Dificid 200mg 2/day for 10days. I will have my first pill later today around 8:00 PM.

How is Difcid? Is it easy to tolerate? I hear vomiting is a common side affect? My pharmacist has been working at my local pharmacy for 17 years she is normally very knowledgeable but this was first time she was giving out a Difcid , she didn’t know much about it

When I first was diagnosed, I took Flagyl for 8 days and then switched to Vanco. Flagyle was awful, but Vanco was easy to tolerate and unlike Flagyl I dint have any side effect while on Vanco .
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Starting Dificid today

Postby NanciT » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:02 pm

Hi

I don't feel well on Dificid. The first round (10 days) went well for me 5 years ago. This time I just don't feel well and have alot of pelvic pressure which I had POST Vanco 5 years ago. I think Dificid is harsher to take but is works. I have the nausea but no vomiting.
I would speak with your GI about a taper which would require another prescription when you complete the 10 days. We have had MANY on the site that have been cured with Dificid including me 5 years ago after months and months of Vanco.
It works and I have very happy you are on it! I am currently in the taper, still don't feel well.....that will come in time.

Wishing you the best with it

NanciT

Spike
Contributor

Postby Spike » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:25 pm

I felt like horrible the first 7 day on it. Nausea was terrible. I had to pair it with phenergan. I would just start to lessen the nausea and have to take another pill. I think did vomit on it the first 2 days in the mornings. Stool got worse as well for the first 7 days. By day 7 some of my energy came back. Like I could get off the couch for 10 min better. I never did achieve solid stools while taking it so there that. I did go down to one a day though from my 3 a day. By day 10 my flu like symptoms subsided. This was my main symptoms with the c diff. I was not feeling well before taking so I dont know if that added to it. Took it first round for c diff and now I think 9 weeks out. It been a long healing of the 9 weeks so give it time again. I questioned it half way though treatment because I thought I would be better right away but I gave it time things changed slowly.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:10 pm

Thanks you NancyT and Spike for your replies and good wishes
Do you take it with food?
What do u do if you vomit , do you continue taking it?

The pharmacist was telling me if I vomit within 30 mins of taking it I have to take another one and ask my doctor to write another prescription to make up for the lost dose
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Spike
Contributor

Postby Spike » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:03 pm

I would vomit right after I got up and was managed to keep the pill down. I was horribly nauseated before being treated as a side of effected of c diff and this lessens over time with treatment. I also took it with the most food I could hold down. Most the time it was a bagel or animal cracker.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:36 pm

When I had CDIFF 5 years ago I had vomiting this was for the year including 5 relapses, it didnt matter what I was taking.

I did not vomit after taking Dificid , it did not cause me to vomit, but the nausea is terrible. I wear Sea Bands all day. I do always take it after I have eaten, some days that is not much. Now that I am on every other day it's improving. It is VERY expensive and was a battle for me to get this taper from my insurance.

NanciT

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:38 pm

Thank you, hopefully this will work
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:41 pm

Yes it is very expensive I heard it is over $1K for 20 bills. My copay was $50 so it wasn’t so bad, I think i am allowed for a refill if necessary

Elvish2
Contributor

Postby Elvish2 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:21 pm

So sorry that you ended up relapsing! I did a Dificid taper/pulse that has been successful so far (6 weeks out). I actually felt really good in general on Dificid, much better than I had on Flagyl 9 years ago. The only real bothersome side effect of Dificid that I can point to is that I've been having what are probably occasional bladder spasms/discomfort; this started a few weeks after ending the Dificid.

Hoping Dificid does the trick for you! I would request a followup taper if possible to do after the usual 10 days are up. My doctor did say that nausea was common with Dificid and prescribed me an anti-nausea drug, but I didn't have to take it.
2011: contracted c-diff after taking Amoxicillin and Cipro. Successfully treated with Flagyl taper. (Posts under old username, Elvish)

2020: contracted c-diff after taking Augmentin. Finished Dificid taper/pulse on 3/15.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:56 pm

Thanks Elvish,
Did u do Vanco first before Difcid ?``````
How long did it take on Difcid when you noticed some improvement?
What are the dosage of the taper? One per day for 7 days and 1 every other day for 26 days?
I had my fist pill one hour so far no noticeable side effects - thanks god

NS789
Regular Contributor

Postby NS789 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:43 pm

Hi Ali-Mar,

I followed the same pattern as you. Flagyl. Vanco. And then Dificid. I just finished my 10 days of Dificid on Sunday (so two days ago). Honestly I felt great on Dificid. My symptoms started improving after the first full day of pills and all symptoms had disappeared within about 5 days of taking the pills. I suffered no side effects. Good luck to you. Where I have just finished my pills I am of course a bit nervous but hopeful that the third time was the charm! Let me know how you make out.
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:06 pm

Hi NS789,
That is great, hope Dificid will get you though this awful bug.

I finished my 2nd full day and I already feel so much better (fingers crossed). I am thinking of asking for 20 more pils and doing the taper? Was is your thought?

How long after Vanco did you relapse? For me it was 5 weeks post Vanco

NS789
Regular Contributor

Postby NS789 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:17 pm

I'm glad you're feeling better! I had fast results too.

I thought about asking for a Dificid taper but I decided to try the standard/recommended 10 days first. If I relapse and need a second round of Dificid (god forbid), I will ask to do a taper at that time.

The 10 days of Dificid pills were also quite pricey (even with a plan!), which is another reason I decided to give the standard 10-day course a try.

I relapsed within about 7 or 8 days of finishing Vanco. But I should mention that I was only given 10 days of Vanco and I'm not sure it was enough to get rid of the c diff. It seems like most people are prescribed 14 days. So I wonder if that's why it failed in my case.
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:27 pm

Yes, i was also prescribed 10 day Vanco but 4 pils per day. I agree most people take it for 14 days.
How are you doing now post Dificid are you back to regular formed BM? Any signs of PI-IBS?

NS789
Regular Contributor

Postby NS789 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:41 pm

I am doing well so far. I am finally having formed BMs (which I never 'achieved' on Flagyl or Vanco) and no IBS symptoms yet (though it's still early days...).

I should mention that I'm also taking Florastor and eating probiotic yogurt twice a day to get some good bacteria back in my system.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”