Can Flagyl/Vanco cause throat infection?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Can Flagyl/Vanco cause throat infection?

Postby Ali-Mar » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:22 pm

I have been having sore throat, hoarse voice and left tonsil is slightly swollen for past 6 weeks since I started the Flagyl/Vanco treatment. Cann’t remember if the sore throat started with Flagyl or Vanco. I had Flagyl for 8 days before switching to Vanco
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Can Flagyl/Vanco cause throat infection?

Postby beth22 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:09 pm

Both of the antibiotics can cause oral thrush, that is, a yeast infection. Usually you have a white film in your mouth from that. I would call your doctor and ask. I have not heard of it causing a sore throat.

Zay
Regular User

Postby Zay » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:52 am

According to the internet Vancomycin can cause flu like symptoms including sore throat. Apparently flagyl can also can cause a sore throat, but "is a rare but serious side effect that you should let your doctor know about."

So maybe let your doctor know in case it is a side effect, or is Oral thrust as Beth stated, and keep in mind we are still in allergy season too.

Caligirl
Contributor

Postby Caligirl » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:40 am

When I was on flagyl I got a horrible case of oral thrush that wouldn’t go away, I finally had to see my doctor about it and get medicine. I was able to see the bumps on the back of my tongue/throat and my tongue was white/yellow.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”