Relapse on taper of vancomycin or post IBS?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
jmf2141
Brand New Poster

Relapse on taper of vancomycin or post IBS?

Postby jmf2141 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:11 pm

Hi, I'm 37 year old pregnant female (30 weeks) with 2nd reoccurrence during within last month and half.

I'm currently on a vancomycin taper, day 12 of 2x/two weeks. Yesterday I had a cup of black beans, since then I've had pretty uncomfortable cramping. Before then, I had mild cramping but was feeling ok. I just called my doctor and they said I could go back to taking 4x/day. I'm trying to avoid taking more antibiotics if its just part of the healing process. From what I've read on here, cramping can be normal.

My question is:
How common is it for people to have cramping while on a taper of vancomycin?

Has anyone had a reocurrence while on a taper of vancomycin?

When did you know you were relapsing?

Thanks,

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Re: Relapse on taper of vancomycin or post IBS?

Postby Ali-Mar » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:33 pm

Sorry to hear you have C-Diff, I finished 10 days Vanco treatment 5 weeks ago and I am still having cramping and abdominal discomfort. That said, up to yesterday was some what mild there were bad days and good days, so I thought it was PI IBS. But gotten much worst since last night, had 5 BM today and mucus... so mine might be a relapse ..

I am also new to this and not an expert . But one of the admin on this site posted a 3 day rule, meaning if you have WD for 3 days in a row it might be a relapse and should seek medical assistance. I already emailed my doctor and will wait for two more days to see if i get any better or now, if not will ask for treatment
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:06 pm

I relapsed when I was on vanco 1x per day, but did okay with 2x per day. I was on 250mg pills. Unless you are having D or see M or bleeding, maybe it was just an upset from beans. Things with fiber tended not to sit well with me. If the doctor wants you to increase dose again, ask why you can't just increase one pill to 3x per day rather than 4x. I would give it a day or two and see how you do. Symptoms can come and go.

jmf2141
Brand New Poster

Postby jmf2141 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:22 pm

Thanks for the replies, actually since I took my second dose at 7pm of the vancomycin, an hour later my cramping is gone. I also just ate miso salmon and white rice. So, I'm not sure if Vancomycin can kill the bacteria causing cramping that quickly or if the miso helped or if it was just IBS from the beans.

Does anyone know if that's possible for vancomycin to work that quickly for stomach cramping?

This is all so stressful. Especially dealing with this while pregnant during a pandemic. I was about to eat some sauerkraut but am thinking I should hold off. I've heard that can cause some discomfort if eaten too early in recovery.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:13 pm

I don't think vanco works that quickly, but perhaps the food settled your stomach. White rice usually makes me feel better. It could be that the beans caused IBS symptoms. Fiber is hard for many to tolerate with c diff.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”