Am I relapsing 5 weeks out ?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Am I relapsing 5 weeks out ?

Postby Ali-Mar » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:14 pm

Tomorrow ( April 25), it will be 5 weeks post Vanco treatment for me. I was having some good days and some bad days, which was okay I assumed it was due to PI-IBS. But yesterday it was a very bad day and got worst at night and into this morning. I got up at 1:30 AM , 2:30 AM. 5:00 and 8:00 AM, for a BM.I had 4 BW today mixed of mushy and watery but my main concern is the mucus, it is back and it was a lot of mucus before the stool. What concerns me is I haven’t had mucus even on the very bad days since the Vanco treatment. Is a lot of mucus a relapse? Or can PI-IBS also cause mucus?
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

roy
Administrator

Re: Am I relapsing 5 weeks out ?

Postby roy » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:03 pm

If that continues ask your Drs advice.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:33 pm

Left a message for the GI dr, he is out today, most likely i won’t hear back until next week :-(
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:07 pm

If things get bad, call whoever the doctor on call is and ask.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:35 pm

Good idea, much better than going to urgent care .. I sent and email to my primary doctor and he sent an order for testing for me, I picked up the kits and will drop a sample on Monday morning , they are close on Saturday

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:37 pm

I am not getting better, up to 6 BM today and the last one was mainly mucus and hardly any stool. I am going to call the doctor on call tomorrow AM.. I am very worry that this is a relapse and getting depressed cannot even focus any longer. I just hope I won’t have to go to emergency room at this time with COVID 19... both sides of my body, deep under the rips where the colon turns horizontal ( above kidneys ) hurts... i think I might be developing a colitis,,, Is is going to be a very long few days...

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:20 am

There are some labs that are open on Saturdays, usually only until noon or so. Ask the on call doctor if you can take your sample to one of those.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:31 am

Why my abdominal is getting so big and bloated, this is getting scary, it happened so fast, it wasn’t nearly as big one hour ago, I am 182lb 5’9

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:35 am

My lab order is for Scripps lab. I normally use my local Scripps lab which is close on Sat. But the Scripps memorial La Jolla, CA has a lab that is open until noon tomorrow but I don’t know if I can take these containers that are labeled by my local Scripps lab to La Jolla and drop it off there, if I could that would work, as I am only 40 mins drive from there
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:45 am

If it is a replase which most likely is, should i ask the doctor for Dificid taper? My doctor never used Dificid before and he says one C-Diff patient per year, so he does not have a lot of experience with the C-Diff

What is the following studying re Dificid taper is suggesting? It is such a difficult read. I read it several times, but cannot understand it. Is they study showing taper is effective? A GI doctor told me he uses for taper he uses only Vanco

https://www.infectiousdiseaseadvisor.co ... o-26-days/

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:14 am

If you have the possibility to get a long course of Dificid , do so . Dificid is a great drug , although in some cases is needed more then 10 days . A Dificid taper might be your magic bullet!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:13 am

If it is your GI dr that doesn’t have experience with c diff pts I would look for a new GI dr.
I am not clear if you are referring to that dr or your PCP, but clearly you need a dr with experience dealing with c diff.

Caligirl
Contributor

Postby Caligirl » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:54 pm

Where do you live? I’m in CA also and my doctor was able to change the order to my hospital since they have a lab that is open 24/7

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:14 pm

I am in San Diego, east county, I took a chances and dropped it off at Scripps Anderson La Jolla lab, which is open half a day today. It is in a building next to Scripps Memorial hospital but it is not in the hospital. I was worry that they might not except the samples since I picked up the collection kits from my local Scripps Lab. I forgot to ask them if they will deliver the samples to testing facility today or on Monday. In other words, I am not sure if they are open only to collect samples or do they really deliver it to testing place for testing over the weekend?. Anxious to hear the result.

Since Thursday evening I have had the same symptoms as I had when I had C-Diff. 4- 6 BM per day, mix of mushy, looses, some water, a lot of mucus. Mild cramping and abdominal discomfort. When I contract C-Diff I had severe diarrhea only for frist 3 days, and after that I was down to 2-6 BM per day and mushy/loose and mucus, just as I do now. It went on untreated for 4 weeks, but the symptoms weren’t very servers, nothing like the frist 3 days. It is very confusing, i never had the awful smell of C-Diff that everyone describing, I think maybe that was one of the reason that doctors didn’t suspected C-Diff at first until they rested and come back positive.

Where in CA are you? I am struggling to find a doctor in San Diego that has extensive experience treating C-Diff. I fount a GI Doctor on Openbiom.com, and had video visit with him last week. But he didnt seems very knowledgeable. He said, “ we stopped doing FMT, few years back because of a quality control issue that Openbiom had and many of the Opennbiom product were contaminated! He also said, If I relapse he would put me an longer Vanco, he didnt mention Dificid, both of these comments were concerning to me.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:17 pm

I would ask for Dificid. FMT right now is risky anyway because of the virus going around. But, see what your test shows. Maybe you don't have c difficile. Scripps has a good reputation. I'm sure they have more than one GI there.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”