Pregnant w/second recurrence...any advice?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
jmf2141
Brand New Poster

Pregnant w/second recurrence...any advice?

Postby jmf2141 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:39 pm

Hi,

I'm late 30's and currently 29 weeks pregnant. In November of 2019 I used an old razor, which I thought was giving me ingrown hairs...turns out it was MRSA! I ended up having MRSA cysts drained in my armpits at 20 weeks pregnant, and was placed on Amoxcillian, then Kheplex, the Clindamycin for a week. About 3 weeks later, I started having cramping, then diarrhea fro 4 days, then stool sampled by my doctor which was positive for Cdiff. I started Vancomycin 125mg 4x/day for 14 days, didn't start feeling better until day 5. Finished the vancomycin, and was ok for about 12 days.

Started cramping again day 12, then had (TMI) yellow poop, weird smell and went about 6x/one day, and elevated heart beat. I'm now placed back on Vancomycin taper, 125mg 4x/day for 14 days, 125mg 2x/day 14 days, then 1x/day 7 days, 1 pill every 2-3 days for 14 days. I'm really hoping this works!I'm so worried about taking all this medication and the infection will affect the baby.

I'm taking 4 Florastor/day, 2 in morning, 2 at night, 1 50 Billion CFU of Bio-K, and also drink 1 cup of Wallaby Kefir every night. I've just switched to a mostly Low FODMAP diet, and am also cutting out sugar, except for fruit and sugar in the Kefir.

Has anyone had any success beating this during pregnancy? or have any tips for what else I should try incorporating into my regime?

If this doesn't work, I'll be placed on vancomycin the remainder of the pregnancy and then probably have a FMT once I'm 8 weeks post-partum.

I'm also going to reach out to a naturopathic doctor to see if theres any safe oils I can take while pregnant.

Any advice welcome

Caligirl
Contributor

Re: Pregnant w/second recurrence...any advice?

Postby Caligirl » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:34 pm

Hey there, I’m so sorry you’re going through this. I got c diff while pregnant as well and had a recurrence. I did beat it though! I would ask your dr about cutting back on the probiotics some. Too much of a good thing can cause you to have D. The florastor is amazing though, if it was me I would take that morning and night and stop the other probiotics and Kiefer. I would continue to monitor what you eat and drink plenty of water. You will beat this! Most cases are cured with either 1 or 2 rounds of antibiotics.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:41 pm

Hello jmf2141 and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum on rules for posting and information for new members.
I agree with caligirl. You are likely taking too many probiotics. They can give you d. I would try cutting back on them. Generally 1 Florastor twice/day is enough, not 2 capsules.
If you are not seeing a GI dr, I would contact one and get one lined up. I’m assuming you may be since you are already talking about a FMT, which seems to me to be premature. And make sure your dr is consulting with your OB about everything that is happening.

Odds are in your favor that the taper will work. But if not, before being kept on vanco for your entire pregnancy, I would ask about trying Dificid and if that is safe for the baby.

Good luck to you.
Rita

2020kas
Brand New Poster

Postby 2020kas » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:46 pm

Did you end up beating this? I was clear from it for 8 months, after being treated with Vanco once in Jan and Feb of this year then somehow got infected at 9 weeks pregnant with my second baby... I just started Dificid this morning and am praying it will clear things up. Hopefully you got it all cleared up!!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”