Weight loss and other problems during third relapse and vancomycine treatment

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
roy
Administrator

Re: Weight loss and other problems during third relapse and vancomycine treatment

Postby roy » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:19 pm

Dont weigh daily, weigh once a week to get a better idea of her nutrition.
Weight can vary by a kilo between morning and night.
Even a glass of water adds 200g untill she urinates so daily weighing is not advised.
It does sound like a high calorie suppliment like ensure might benifit her but introduce slowly as they can cause tummy upset.
If she is well and tolerating food try adding high calorie foods like nut butter, higher fat meats and fish and higher carbs.
Do it slowly though and only one new thing at a time.
If it suits her then increase the portion size.

m16
New User

Re: Weight loss and other problems during third relapse and vancomycine treatment

Postby m16 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:44 pm

@roy
She is already eating poltry and vegetables and baked bread with meat and cheese. Three meals a day , one of them hot. Also 6 grams of protein supplemnt daily. Do you think a nutrient booster like Ensure can be a game-changer?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:11 pm

It's worth trying ensure.
Poultry and veg is quite low calorie.

m16
New User

Postby m16 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:32 pm

@roy

All right. Thank you.

m16
New User

Postby m16 » Thu May 07, 2020 1:19 pm

I've got one more question.

My mother's weight currently seems more or less stable. we did not measured any value lover than 37.8 so far ,though it is possible that the weight can drop more with evacuations. It did not increase either, however.

But mother complains of occasional pain in stomach or "feeling unwell"/ general malaise. She decide to undergo medical checkup, that is a complete blood count along with CRP and liver enzymes ALT and AST.

We received preliminary results today via phone. CBC looks good with no major deviations. C Reactive Protein is perfect on 1.6.

But ALT and AST are elevated. ALT is 21 (norm : up to 35) and AST is elevated at 83.7 (or so).

My question is : Can those ALT and AST values be caused by clostridium or ba vancomycine tretment. I found some articles concerning elevated levels of both resulting from vanco therapy. The data is scant though.

Do you know anything more?

m16
New User

Postby m16 » Fri May 08, 2020 3:46 pm

IN addition GFR is slightly increased....Thoughts, anyone?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri May 08, 2020 4:16 pm

Sorry but none of us are qualified to comment on medical questions.
Best to ask a Dr.

m16
New User

Postby m16 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:37 pm

Hello,

Just wanted to ask one more question.

My mom's condition seems more or less stable. He lost some more weight stil but now she seems to recover. Blood count is good, as well as liver hormones. Ultrasonography shows no abnormalities. Most importantly she finished her vancomycine course.

Now we wonder, whether there will be a relapse?

Can you tell us when do relapses usually occur. After what time after discontinuing vancomycine? I've read that it is up to a year....but I do not know for sure. Are those first 4 weeks critical?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:20 pm

Everyone is different, but for me, most of the relapses I had were about 3 weeks after stopping vanco. It can happen later, but yes, if you get through that first month, that is good as your intestinal flora has a chance to recover and repopulate.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:34 pm

For me, I relapsed 5 weeks after completing the Vanco treatment . The following CDC website indicates most relapses are 2- 8 weeks after the treatment

https://www.cdc.gov/cdiff/after.html
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

m16
New User

Postby m16 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:18 pm

@beth22
@Ali-Mar

Thank you, both of you.

m16
New User

Postby m16 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:04 am

Hello,
I have still two more questions if I may,

My mother still complains of occasional pain of bowels or stomach. Pain is mild occurs after bowel movement or during some body movements. Do such sympptoms appear post C. diff. onset? My mother is almost three weeks after discontinuing vancomycine.

Second questions is related. We plan to perform colonoscopy, which was due regardless of c. diff. Does anone have experience of post c. diff. colonoscopy? How long do you have to wait how the ilness affects the results of the examination?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:28 pm

M16,

Check out the possibility of your mom now having IBS if the pains continue. Some "twinges" are common after c diff.

Ensure Plus helped me gain weight. Also, A former poster (CindyM) recommended the probiotic primeus reuteri. It seems to stimulate the appetite. It helped both Nancy1 and me. I bought it at Whole Foods, and it also can be ordered online.

I would wait for awhile for the scope but that is my personal opinion. Check with your mom's doc.

m16
New User

Postby m16 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:11 am

@ Bobbie

Thank you for your advice (I am sorry for writing so late).

Mother indee may have c. diff induced IBS or simple IBS whatsoever. She suffered from that before.

She is under medical supervision. May still be loosing weight though :(.

But there is one more question I need to ask.

My mother suffers from arthritis in one leg. No c. diff,f, symptoms as for now?

Can arthritis-like symtoms precede the c. diff.? Or be complication of it?

I know it sounds strange but apparently thre is a connection.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:27 am

Reactive arthritis can occur after any infection not just c.diff.
It's not an indication of infection though.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”