GI or Infectious Diseases Doc for C-Diff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: GI or Infectious Diseases Doc for C-Diff

Postby Ril » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:57 am

Stools after c diff are nothing like your previous habits for many of us. I erroneously jumped the gun out of panic and called my GI and described what I thought was a relapse so he prescribed vanco, because he did not believe in retesting. When I calmed down a couple of days later and realized it was likely not a relapse it was too late and I had to finish the vanco....so be careful. You can expect a “new normal” with BMs, possible PI IBS which is what I have, with stools all over the place, and possible reactions to probiotics and/or food intolerances especially to fiber.
Cheery thoughts I know, but things get better over time. I remember thinking I would never feel normal again, but eventually I did, even though for me, it took a long time. Others are luckier, but everyone does recover. Just have patience and try not to act too quickly.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:30 am

Ril, thank you for the great info, it is very helpful to know others experience .. All the info I have received from members on this site indicates a long recovery process... unfortunately my GI doctor don’t seem to know that, anytime I let him know I still have abdominal discomfort, cramping and tenesmus, he think I should have recovered few days after starting the treatment. This site has been very helpful, and it is the reasons, I have not started a new treatment... All members says recovery is a long process, do you know if means 1 - 4 months or year?
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:34 pm

Having so much heartburn! Is it okay to take Prilosec? Have been off the vanco for 8 days now
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:56 am

Prilosec and those types of medications are linked to higher incidence of c difficile. Is there something else you can take for that?

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:18 am

Thanks Beth, not sure, what else you can take for heartburn

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:54 am

Sip some milk if you can. Works great.

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:29 am

I am trying to get off of Prilosec at the recommendation of my ID. Gaviscon works well for heartburn and reflux.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:44 pm

If you are on Prilosec for GERD, prescribed by your GI, make sure you consult with him as there are other health ramifications. If you are taking it on your own, it’s a different story.
When this is over, frequent heartburn should be addressed by a GI.
Right now you can try Tums, Rolaids or if they don’t work, Pepcid is better than a PPI if you can get it to work for you.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:59 pm

I was taking over the counter Prilosec on my own as need it for heartburn, maybe 3 or 4 time per month...

jG43
Contributor

Postby jG43 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:02 am

As far as the recovery process - it can take a long time for some. I first got cdiff in Nov 2018. I relapsed after flagyl which I now know I should have never taken. once on Vanco and once on a Vanco taper. My relapses were usually around ten days after treatment with symptoms of acute progressive wd. Finally got in to a great GI who put me on 10 days of Dificid then a FMT from open biome donor in early March 2019. I have been cdiff free for over a year and I am now close to 100% back to where I was. However sometimes a certain food will give me trouble. I really did not feel like I had turned a corner until the 6 month mark. My GI said the gut can sometimes take a year to 18 months to really completely recover.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:15 pm

My GI doctor re tested 7 days after completing the Vanco, and the Toxin Gene PCR was negative. But what is that mean? I don’t think that means I am not a carrier? It just mean there are no Toxin Bactria in the gut?

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”