While watching and waiting...

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Elvish2
Contributor

While watching and waiting...

Postby Elvish2 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:19 pm

I'm currently 5 days out from finishing a Dificid taper/pulse and hanging in there - not feeling 100% yet, but didn't expect to be (experiencing exhaustion, some on-off stomach discomfort, have noticed M a few times, etc).

Aside from trying to remain calm amidst the ups and downs over the next several weeks/months while I hope for no relapse, any advice on what I can do now to bolster the immune system and give my good gut flora the best fighting chance? My GI cautioned against eating too much dairy or fermented foods, but I'm taking Florastor (3 capsules/day total), drinking a little kombucha, and trying to eat healthy. I don't seem to have developed food intolerances. Back when I had c-diff in 2009, I was rather desperately doing whatever I could think of - downing "garlic shots" and drinking kefir - but I can't say for sure if that played significant part in recovery.

So are there specific things anyone has eaten or done during recovery that they felt were helpful? I hate this feeling like there's nothing I can really do overall but wait and see, but I guess thus is life...! My GI did give me another just-in-case "peace of mind" prescription for Dificid at my request in case things go quickly south.
2011: contracted c-diff after taking Amoxicillin and Cipro. Successfully treated with Flagyl taper. (Posts under old username, Elvish)

2020: contracted c-diff after taking Augmentin. Finished Dificid taper/pulse on 3/15.

Spike
Contributor

Re: While watching and waiting...

Postby Spike » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:46 pm

Sound like your are doing good in my opinion. I am able to only tolerate 1/4 of a florastor and that it. Any other probiotic and or fermented food no bueno. Makes me too nauseated which I find odd. I just trying to eat what I can as healthy as I can. I also been doing walks when the weather is nice. Not so much right now in a blizzard. The week I was able to walks was when I felt like I started to turn a corner in the fatigue department. I can now walk about mile and a half and still be able to do some chores during the day. I also taking vitamin d as I am low and 2 Flintstone vitamins (never been able to tolerate a different multivitamin). These I also found helped big time. I was so sick for three months, I got so depleted. So this is what I have been doing and SLOWLY helping. My doctors have been 0 help on the recovery process. Hope some of this help. I am right there with you. 4 week as of yesterday off meds.

Elvish2
Contributor

Re: While watching and waiting...

Postby Elvish2 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:36 pm

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Spike - I am doing a lot better this time around than I was in 2009 (when I was so weak I couldn't walk across a room), I'm just so ready to be back to "normal", not in a state of worry, and not completely exhausted after doing a load of laundry, you know? Eating healthy, brief outdoor walks, taking vitamins... I'll do my best and hope for the best, and give it time! Sending good thoughts to you and anyone else in the process.
2011: contracted c-diff after taking Amoxicillin and Cipro. Successfully treated with Flagyl taper. (Posts under old username, Elvish)

2020: contracted c-diff after taking Augmentin. Finished Dificid taper/pulse on 3/15.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”