Need Some Positive Stories

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Ann775
New User

Need Some Positive Stories

Postby Ann775 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:00 pm

I’m feeling very overwhelmed and that I will never feel like my old self again. It seems like every story I read everyone relapses and then relapses again and then even when they are good for awhile they have post IBS and all sorts of problems with eating. I also am seeing that it takes entire years for some to beat it. Or that it reappears again down the road. How does everyone continue with their life’s with vacations and exercising and eating out with friends, family and go on hikes etc. I feel like I don’t want to be anywhere but my own home and even there I’m so worried about infecting everyone. I could really use some positive stories of those that responded to treatment early on.

DD454
New User

Re: Need Some Positive Stories

Postby DD454 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:30 pm

I recovered after one round of Vancomycin and physically healed within a week into the antibiotic. I would advise not to take Falgyl, it causes horrible side effects in people. Take Florastor and Vancomycin together. You will feel like your old self again. It is a process and it all takes time.

Ann775
New User

Postby Ann775 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:44 pm

Thank you so much for sharing. I love hearing stories of those that felt better very soon. I completed one round of vanco but still have not felt better and am so worried about what’s to come. All the positive stories are so helpful to keep me feeling positive.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:22 pm

I’m 46, took a round of augmentin and on the last day all hell broke loose! I was feverish, pounding heart rate and using the facilities to the tune of 20-30 times. Really had no idea what was going on and figured I got food poisoning or had some sort of 3rd world parasite living in my colon. After the 8th or 9th day and having something rupture inside causing massive blood I drove myself to the ER at 3am while my family slept. Tested positive and was given flagyl, relapsed within 3 days of finishing flagyl and the jackwad DR at urgent care gave me another 7 even though I fought with all my might....the next seven worked. I just passed one year cdiff free a few days ago and have no dietary restrictions and can eat and drink everything I did prior to. There’s lots of people who are like me that were on this board at one time but are never heard from once they heal up. I choose to stick around to let people know that it’s possible to lead a normal life afterwards. I got a lot of good advice, I also get ragged on for offering up my own, and that’s fine. I drank at least 10 coors lights last night (nothing else to do under quarantine) ate 4 pieces of pizza and went to bed. 9.5 months ago I didn’t know if I would ever be able to live a normal life. Days turn into weeks and weeks turn into months. Keep your head up, listen to your docs and eat what you can that doesn’t upset your insides and know that this is gonna be a roller coaster at best for awhile. It was for me.
Last edited by D1dad on Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:22 pm

Ann775,
I am one of the unfortunate few who suffered long and loud. I worked most of the time during my first two bouts and flew to MT every year and after I retired we went to England every year for ten years. My mom lived in MT, and my older son and his family live in the U.K. - our only three grand kids. I just did it - didn't think much about it. I took what precautions I could while on the plane and the tube.

Elvish2
Contributor

Postby Elvish2 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:29 pm

Ann775, I know how overwhelming it can all be. Recovery can be slow in some cases, but even if it is, you will get there. Remember that the people who post here tend to be ones that are struggling a little more and thus need extra advice and support. Most people do not relapse after medication, and even those who experience post-infectious IBS improve over time (like myself). I also personally feel that my longer recovery in 2009 was largely due to all the ill effects of Flagyl that I had. Thankfully, it isn't generally prescribed any more for c-diff.
2011: contracted c-diff after taking Amoxicillin and Cipro. Successfully treated with Flagyl taper. (Posts under old username, Elvish)

2020: contracted c-diff after taking Augmentin. Finished Dificid taper/pulse on 3/15.

Ann775
New User

Postby Ann775 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:04 pm

Thank you so much to everyone for posting. I appreciate it all so much. I’m glad to hear you were still able to fly and visit family even while having c.diff Bobbie. And it’s nice to hear that your stomach fully recovered and you’re able to drink beer and eat pizza again D1dad. I used to live a very active lifestyle working out regularly, ate very well, was literally never sick. And then got a tooth infection, took antibiotics and it feels like my whole life has changed. And I just miss exercising and drinking coffee, having a glass of wine. I worry I won’t get back to enjoying those things ever again. Elvish, thank you, that does make sense that the ones who post here are the ones who need more support and that the ones who were okay don’t post anymore. It’s helpful to hear that.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:18 pm

I agree on the flagyl thing. I had to take a physical for a work project the last day of my script and they almost admitted me because of my heart rate and Bp which were never an issue and aren’t to this day. I didn't get the metallic taste but man that stuff destroyed whatever stomach flora I had left. I literally felt like the walking dead for at least 2 months. If I was ever to get this nasty illness again I’d throw a tantrum like a 2 yr old until the doc wrote a script for dificid.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:22 am

D1dad thanks for continuing to post on the site. Most people that recover don't do that and we need people like you to give hope to others. I'm glad you are doing better. I agree with you - if I ever relapse, I would ask for Dificid.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:10 am

Beth. Your a good person! You have been through so much yet take everything in stride and are always positive. Roy’s bluntness and your positivity helped a lot. Truth be told, without your advice on pepto, I probably would have been written several scripts the first few months. I literally kept pepto tabs in my car and within hands reach for quite awhile. Now I only reach for one on dollar draft and 25 cent wing night which the end result would have been the same way prior to cdiff.

Ann775
New User

Postby Ann775 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:22 am

Good morning, I know this is tmi and I’m really sorry I just really like this thread so far. I told my doctor that I’m still a bit all over the place with soft/semi formed and they want me to start another 10 days of vanco. But I’m so hesitant because I haven’t had 3 wd in 3 days at all. Most days I go once. Somedays 3 times but it’s never 3 days in a row. I’m a little scared to take something like pepto or Metamucil because if I do still have c.diff it sounds like it could be more harmful. I’m just at such a loss of what to do. I really cut down on how much I was eating and eating bland foods and that seems to be helping.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:42 am

The best advice I can give which is what I stuck to myself is to ask yourself, are you feeling like you did when you seeked out treatment, or are you improving? Even if a little at a time. I probably didn’t relapse actually. My gi suspected, and was probably right that 10 days of flagyl wasn’t enough. After I finished the 10 days, within 24hrs I was right back to where I was initially minus the blood loss. I waited a couple days and was getting worse and back I went. After the next 7 I felt like I got hit by a truck (probably the flagyl) but I didn’t feel like I had swallowed a scud missile. If you feel like your on the upswing (even just a little) and aren’t launching yourself off the toilet I would see if your own immunity can’t take over and kick the cdiffs azz! Vanco is gonna knock whatever positive things you’ve accomplished with your immune system back down and you may wish you didn’t do it. I know there’s folks here that will tell you the same. I’d pop a pepto tab and see what happens. Although no one here is a doc so follow their advice. I know my GI wouldn’t give me anything, and believe me I tried, and that probably saved me from a much worse outcome.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:49 am

And I’m pretty sure if you have cdiff pepto won’t stop it. During my first nine days I was eating cheese and taking every anti diahrreal known to man. I actually marveled at how my body was able to turn a half block of cheese into a water cannon in less than 5 minutes lol. I know, TMI but I’ve been cooped up in my house with my family for a week and am kind of losing my mind. Pepto has some antimicobial properties and if anything it may help. Also Metamucil was a big no no coming from my GI who is also a renowned expert. He did recommend benefiber and that really bulked everything up and calmed my gut.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:54 am

Also the advice from my gi was if it doesn’t hurt your stomach then eat it. You developed your stomach flora by eating a diverse diet and the sooner you can the faster you recover. Once I started eating normally again thing really started ascending in a positive direction.

Ann775
New User

Postby Ann775 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:00 am

D1Dad You have literally been a lifesaver. Thank you so much for all your help, humor and motivation to stay strong!! I was never hit super hard with my original bout of c.diff. I was still working out, eating regularly, just knew something was not right as it was two weeks of not normal bathroom times (to put it nicely) and then sure enough I tested positive. I was on an up swing when I first stopped vanco but then it went downhill for a few days, but it’s feeling like it might be back on the upswing. I just don’t know for sure. And I don’t want to wait too long and make things worse either. Maybe I will try a small pepto and see what happens!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”