Possible sinus infection, a question

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
mchi
Brand New Poster

Possible sinus infection, a question

Postby mchi » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:11 am

Hey.

I'm a 20 years old male who had an FMT done 3 months ago for C Diff. I might have a sinus infection and I've read there's a list of low-risk antibiotics for C Diff on the forum. Can someone link that to me? Would be appreciated.

Thank you and I wish the best of health for everyone on the forum.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Re: Possible sinus infection, a question

Postby D1dad » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:32 am

Ugh! That’s how I got it...sinus infection. I was a classic “gimme meds” kind of guy every time I had sinus pressure, would get at least 1 script a yr and finally paid the price. That was a year ago and had at least 2 upper respiratory issues I normally would have been at the doc for. I used a neti pot and nasal steroid both times and didn’t go to the doc either time. My actual GP would never prescribe antibiotics when I saw him, which I didn’t like, so I’d use a tele doc app to get my antibiotic fix. I was probably treated no less than 15 times for a sinus infection and maybe actually needed meds once. I can’t make a recommendation as far as safe meds but I know augmentin always made me feel deathly ill while I never even knew I was taking a zpak. Augmentin is what got me. Tread lightly.

MeliMel
Regular User

Postby MeliMel » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:14 am

Mchi- I have had sinusitis off and on since September 2019, even after being treated with Augmentin in Sept. Symptoms still come and go. I got CDiff in November 2019 and relapsed over and over, I had a FMT in February. Any time I start feeling the sinus issues starting again I use NeilMed Nasal Mist Saline Spray, natural anti-inflammatories, take hot steam showers and use a humidifier. The symptoms lessen and fade away. I even got a CT of my face/sinuses a month or two ago and everything was normal. If I give myself a little extra care and patience, the bothersome symptoms go away on their own.

How long have you had the sinus infection symptoms? I would just try to be sure the infection is classified as bacterial before treating with Antibiotics. Hope you feel better soon!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:10 pm

Mchi - Welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for more information for new posters. You will find the list for antibiotics in the section called CDI - Information on c difficile.... Look for the 2017 version. My doctor told me that doxycycline is a low offender and I have taken it after c difficile with no problem. If you can get your doctor to culture the secretions it would help to identify which antibiotics would work on the bacteria so that you don't have to try one that doesn't work.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:00 am

Unfortunately our healthcare system has no issues with throwing augmentin 875 at anything involving sinusitis. I officially have been 1 yr free of cdiff and haven’t had an antibiotic since. Previously I would have been begging for at least 1 in the same time frame.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:40 am

I would give it more time , do not jump straight on antibiotics , it might be a viral sinus infection . I have chronic sinus infection and i control it with saline irrigation and colloidal silver spray .

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:02 am

I would advise looking at our CDI section and reading about sinus infections and tips for different interventions you can try. My ENT has given my tips to avoid antibiotics including irrigation with betadine in the solution. Agree with Georgina- it can stay viral for a long time.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”