Taking antibiotic for abscessed root canal

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
iamsick
Long Time Contributor

Taking antibiotic for abscessed root canal

Postby iamsick » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:28 pm

This will be round two of a very old canal that was previously removed many years ago. This last weekend mouth, face,neck was so inflamed and fear of it going to my brain. My dentist sent me to endodontist Monday and that night began 5 day zpak along with Vanco 125mg 4 a day for duration of the zpak. Of course I am not happy about it. I had started feeling something was brewing Friday and was think it was from eating raw carrots the day before and chewing too hard. I had also had my teeth cleaned within the last couple weeks. Turned out too be the prefect storm a brewing. Anyway I am at the end of the 5 day treatment tomorrow. I contacted my GI who I have not been in contact since I have been cdiff free about 5 yrs ago and they say this is a standard to take the Vanco ending when the treatment ends with zpak in keep the beast a bay. Has anyone followed a procedure like this to prevent awakening spores? Very Scared here and I would love to hear your input on this. Also, the dentist has added a 3 day3 extended dose of Vanco but not sure if I need it. I also take 1 Align every day but have increased to 2 a day and added 2 Flosator a day. Thanks so much.
Teresa_68

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Taking antibiotic for abscessed root canal

Postby Ril » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:12 am

Sorry to see you back and for all this trouble.
My endodontist doesn’t make me take antibiotics when my dentist prescribes them so I call him immediately. He cleans out the infection when he does the root canal. I have avoided taking antibiotics by going right to him when this has happened, even if I have to call his cell after hours as an emergency.

A lot of people have taken z packs without incident however. The one time I had a dose of IV antibiotics during surgery I took Florastor a week before and for a few months after- maybe overdoing it but not wanting to take any chances.

Hope you will be fine.
Rita

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:38 am

It annoys me that Drs have such little knowlage of how antibiotics work!
The window for c.diff overgrowth is at its height for a few weeks after taking antibiotics and taking vanco alongside another antibiotic does not solve that problem ( some experts think it might even make it worse)
A zpack stays in your system for 2 weeks AFTER the last dose is taken so extending vanco for 3 days is not going to help at all.
Might even cause harm.
Good news is that zpack seems to be a low offender.
More bad news is that repeated root canal often fails and you lose the tooth.
Probiotic might help and personally I would keep s.boulardi up for a couple of months at least.
Handwashing to prevent infection is important.
If you dont swallow a c.diff spore you dont get c.diff colitis.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:48 pm

Iamsick,
I've had several root canals without an antibiotic. I've also taken a zpK several times (for resp,infections) without a reoccurrence of c diff.

Wishing you the same good luck.

iamsick
Long Time Contributor

Postby iamsick » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:46 pm

My GI said to finish up the last 3 Vanco but not to take the 3 day extended ones.
Teresa_68

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:35 pm

Sorry about what your going through. I haven’t taken an antibiotic since, but never had a single issue whenever I took a zpak. I got cdiff from augmentin which made me feel like death every time I ever took it. Eventually it destroyed my gut. Roy’s right. The one root canal I had was a waste of money, I lost the tooth 10 yrs later. I think dentist are root canal happy now days.

iamsick
Long Time Contributor

Postby iamsick » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:21 pm

Yes, very displeased with myself for going this route. I really just should of had it pulled. Took my last zpak last night and the last Vanco this evening. I did have i mushy movement this morning and yesterday morning but nothing else. not sure if it's due to the zpak, Vanco or florastor. I have never taken that yeast probiotic before and have heard others have issues with it. I just have to ride it out now. You all are right, I possible could still loose this tooth anyway. I'm praying it all goes well.
Teresa_68

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:32 am

My daughters 22, an RN and we did the braces, cleanings every 6 months and she has beautiful teeth. She went to a new dentist when our insurance changed, no pain just a cleaning a few yrs ago. Next thing you know, here comes a “treatment plan” for $1600 for a root canal and crown which fell off the other night when she was eating and now they need to extract the tooth and either do an implant or bridge. She walked out with a prescription for 2 antibiotics of course.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”