Gbs uti

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Mmp
Regular User

Gbs uti

Postby Mmp » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:43 am

So I have been battling a group b strep uti. My doc did a culture last week and said there wasn't enough bacteria to have an antibiotic ( I stopped having symptoms since) last night it came back full force. I'm worried I can't get rid of this and I will end up with a kidney infection. I know gbs can be treated by vanco. I know any antibiotics are not safe but that would be one of the safest to take? Just wondering if anyone else has taken vanco not for c diff.

roy
Administrator

Re: Gbs uti

Postby roy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:59 pm

I dont think oral vanco treats any form of strep.
IV vanco might but 99.9% certain that oral does not.
In fact Oral vanco is only use is for GI infections and 99% of oral vanco prescriptions are for c.diff.
If a Dr wants you on vanco pills for anything other than a GI infection get a new Dr!

Mmp
Regular User

Postby Mmp » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:51 am

That was my own research. She is prescribing me Methenamine which is a antibiotic? She said is wasn't but I am pretty sure it is. But it doesn't seem to have an effect on the gut microbiome. I'm having very mild symptoms. Mainly just frequency. She doesn't think it's bad enough to warrant a worse offender I guess.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:59 pm

MMp,
See antibiotics lists in CDI.

Mmp
Regular User

Postby Mmp » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:24 pm

Bobbie, I did not see it in there

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:13 pm

It is a urinary antiseptic also called urotropin. You can look it up on line or better yet, talk to your pharmacist. I don’t recall having seen it used but obviously your dr knows about it.

Mmp
Regular User

Postby Mmp » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:29 pm

The pharmacist says it is an anti-septic that only works in the urinary tract and does not affect your gut microbiome. I am going to try it. Maybe double up on my florastor as a precaution and hope for the best. I will update. Maybe this will be an option for us c differs that suffer from utis.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”