The Three Day Rule

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Bobbie
Administrator

The Three Day Rule

Postby Bobbie » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:02 pm

Check this with your doc.

Try the three day rule.

Remember , the three day rule is not medical info but a rule of thumb to help get through the wait, watch, and worry stages of c diff.

I made it up many years ago. It is a "rule of thumb" that can be helpful.

The Three Day Rule: Don't be alarmed by mild symptoms unless you have three "bad" days in a row or if your symptoms become drastically worse. If this happens, call your doctor. Please remember, this is just a guideline to use when you panic after one or two bad days and think, "Oh, IT'S back."

Relax. SO hard to do.

AngelNut
New User

Re: The Three Day Rule

Postby AngelNut » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:03 am

Hi Bobbie,

I am new here, and trying to "catch up". I had my first diagnosis end of Jan into Feb and now experiencing my first recurrence. My question is in this wait and watch...is mucus a worry/issue or not. For me I hit the panic button at the first sight of M
1st diagnosis 1/24/20
1st reoccurrence 3/26/20

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:56 pm

For me, it depended on the amount of M. A little can just be irritation, but I knew when I saw a lot, especially if there was bleeding, that it was a relapse. If it is only M, then time to call the doctor and ask.

AngelNut
New User

Postby AngelNut » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:59 am

Thanks Beth22 that is helpful. I seem to start with a day or two af increased LBM and move to M only. I am 7 days on the Flagyl, no pain, feel fine (tired), but still seeing M. It was when the M showed up that I called the Dr.
1st diagnosis 1/24/20
1st reoccurrence 3/26/20

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:25 am

I was on Flagy for 8 days and still was seeing a lot of mucus. I called the dr and switched to Vanco. After 7 days on Vanco (on the 8th day) the mucus stopped. I have been off Vanco for two weeks now, still having abdominal pain, bloating cramping , multiple BM but no mucus , keeping my fingers crossed
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

AngelNut
New User

Postby AngelNut » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:56 pm

Thank you Ali-Mar. I see you are new here too and I have read your story. I see you had your first time the day I got out of the hospital with mine. I do hope that you get well. Thank you for sharing your story and taking time to reply with mine.

Since it is only my first reoccurrence, I'm not sure how to gauge it. I am not happy that I was put on Flagyl after reading here. I did try to challenge that decision with the Dr initially, but to no avail. I'm on my 8th day and inclined to wait it out and see, while I do still have some M. While my first onset was death defying, feel pretty good. I hope I am no lulling myself into a false sense of security. I do not have the utmost confidence that after this 10 days of Flagyl I will be cleared of C Diff. In fact, based on my low confidence with the treatment course of Flagyl, I imagine my next round is just around the corner at best. For sure I will be insisting the next course of treatment not be Flagyl.

Again, many thanks for your contributions. Stay well.
1st diagnosis 1/24/20
1st reoccurrence 3/26/20

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”