Living on pins and needles

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
AnnieB
New User

Re: Living on pins and needles

Postby AnnieB » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:28 pm

An update: On my last day of 14 days of Vanco, I finally got to talk to a GI on the phone. Asked him if I should do a taper and he said there was no need for it. So I didn’t do a taper.
Then I was feeling pretty good for about 10 days post Vanco. Slowly adding more foods, having mostly formed stools, energy coming back, anxiety going away, doing things again like taking walks, gardening, even swimming. Then 2 days ago I made a smoothie with a lot of spinach and kale. I haven’t eaten many veggies yet and I wanted to start eating them again and start getting some more nourishment. But yesterday I started having WD. Green. Many times. Am I paying the price for 2 days for some raw greens?So I went back on a bland diet. Today still having WD. Lots of it! Lost count. What has me hopeful is that it doesn’t smell like it did when I had C. Diff. To me that smelled like a barnyard. Like cow poop.
Been taking S. Boullardii and kefir the whole time I was taking Vanco and I was feeling good. Still taking them because I feel like I still need lots of probiotics to help my gut recover from the antibiotics. Should I stop? Maybe just take my other probiotics?
Help! This is so confusing and hard to figure out.
Should I contact my doctor or wait?
Any and all feedback would be SO appreciated!
Thanks,
Annie

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:54 am

I did okay with probiotics when I was on vanco, but I did not tolerate them well when I was off. I'm not sure why. Maybe the vanco killed some of the bacteria in them and the dose was smaller because of that. I also could not tolerate kefir. I would stop them both for a day or two and if you are better, reintroduce one at a time. If your symptoms get worse, call GI. My relapses were usually about two to three weeks after stopping meds.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:08 am

If you have lost count of bathroom visits you must see your Dr.
3 day rule does not apply if symptoms are severe.
Sorry but this sounds like a typical c.diff relapse.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:21 am

Agree with Roy but if at all possible make it the GI dr. You need someone more knowledgeable in c diff.

AnnieB
New User

Postby AnnieB » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:14 pm

Hey thanks so much everyone. I’m taking everyone’s advice. Got an appointment with a GI for tomorrow. Have asked my personal doctor to call me as well. And am stopping probiotics and kefir for a couple days. I love this support group!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:02 pm

AnnieB,
Good plan. Glad the site is helping you. Let us know what the GI says.

AnnieB
New User

Postby AnnieB » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:37 pm

Got tested for C. Diff. It’s positive. Ugggggg.
Saw GI doc yesterday. We hadn’t yet gotten results of test. Now in email correspondence with him. He says because I got c diff again less than 14 days after stopping Vanco, it’s not a recurrence, it’s the same occurrence.

He is recommending Dificid. Says it has about a 90% success rate.
BUT, he also said I am a candidate for a fecal transplant but that could take some time to get. His colleague is doing a study on using the tablets. They get it from Open Biome. He offered to set up a phone call between me and him. I said YES please!

Anyway, I guess my question is, should I take Dificid or wait for a possible fmt? Woke up this morning feeling like, well, crap, for lack of a better word. I just want to feel better quickly. But if I take Dificid it will be my 5th round of antibiotics since November!!!

Also, has anyone tried or had luck with acupuncture and Chinese herbs? I am seeing an acupuncturist for all this and he says he would treat me with Chinese herbal antibiotics. But he respects whatever I decide.

AnnieB
New User

Postby AnnieB » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:42 pm

Also, the doctor I saw is the same GI who said I did not need to do a Vanco taper, and maybe if I had done it I wouldn’t have gotten sick again. I know it doesn’t help me to look back and blame and say what if.... But it does make me wonder if I can trust this guy to know what’s best.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”