Went to ER, super scared

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
sammi79
Contributor

Went to ER, super scared

Postby sammi79 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:46 am

The bleeding got worse the past few days so I went to the ER yesterday morning. They did bloodwork and a CT. Bloodwork was great and even though I was physically showing dehydration signs, it hadn’t started on my organs, so that was good. CT showed mild inflammation of my colon.

The ER Dr called the oncall Dr in the practice I go to and they both agreed to treat the colon infection. They tried to give Flagyl but I refused. That stuff is so toxic as I’m sure most of you know. So, they gave me Cipro. I questioned that medication too but the ER doctor and nurse stressed the importance of getting the infection cleared up. They said I will not be starting the Vanco taper on Tuesday because I will need the Vanco with the Cipro because the Cipro could reactivate the CDiff again.

They gave me IV fluids which did help my physically perk up. They also gave me Toradol and Zofran. Both helped tremendously but the nurse said this will be an uncomfortable recovery. I go back to see my gastroenterologist on Tuesday.

I’m scared. I didn’t have all of these issues when I had CDiff before. I feel lost and super scared and I feel so out of control it is driving me crazy. And now on top of driving me crazy I have more blood than ever before and I’m scared they aren’t doing the right thing for me. God, I sound so neurotic!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Went to ER, super scared

Postby NanciT » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:25 am

Sammi

Did they ever get your stool cultures back? That will tell them a great deal. Normal lab is GREAT to hear, CT can mild show inflammation so I would ask GI what infection they are treating you for? Make sure to call the GI, especially if they put you on Cipro. Dehydration should improve with the fluids, hope you start feeling better soon
Try "Sea Bands" if nausea continues, they helped me a great deal

Take Care

nanciT

sammi79
Contributor

Postby sammi79 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:30 pm

Nancy,

As of Saturday, the stool cultures had not come back. I see the GI tomorrow and I have a slew of questions for him. They put me on the Cipro to treat an “infection” Of my colon but did not specify what the infection is. They only put me on the medication after consulting with a GI Dr from the practice I see.

I have continued to have watery D and blood. My diet has been bland and small bites all through out the day. As soon as I eat, I have to go. The biggest difference is that I have been waking less through out the night. I had 2 non bloody movements yesterday so I tried 1/4 cup of cottage cheese (it was one of the only approved dairies on an ulcerative colitis diet). I started having blood again after. Was it a fluke or an irritant? Guess I’ll know after I eliminate it out of my diet again. So far today I have eaten an english muffin, a banana, and a rice cake. The watery D starts as soon as I finish eating.

My doctor has always been amazing. I have known him for over 13 years. This time, I don’t fee like he is listening to me. The ER doctor was unwilling to try anything new since I am being treated by “an amazing doctor”. Everyone says I am in the best hands, which Is why I have this Dr in the 1st place. I needed a GI doctor when I was pregnant and I would only see the best.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:27 am

All cow dairy products contain highly inflammatory casein ,even though you have tolerance to lactose the casein can be a problem for your gut, i assume the cottage cheese is made with cow milk .
I do not have a inflammatory bowel disease , but i do have endometriosis (bowel endometriosis)/adenomiosys and those conditions are inflammatory as well and the cow milk products and sugar are our worse enemies . Even though i had all endo excised last summer , i do not touch anything that is made with cow milk (yogurt,milk , cheese , you name it) because i know that i will have gut issues.

sammi79
Contributor

Postby sammi79 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:57 am

I met with my Dr yesterday. He took me off the Cipro effective immediately. He was not happy one of his co-workers would approve of this during a CDiff treatment. He answered all of my questions and took his time making sure I was comfortable with the plan. Even when I questioned the plan, he was patient with me. He even got me into my obgyn within an hour after seeing him because of findings on the CT scan. It ended up being a uterine fibroid, but he followed up immediately because of his concern.

He wants to start the taper and also do a colonoscopy next week. Typically he would not do one until treatment is completed but the amount of blood and small clots I am having concerns him. He said if he gets in there and sees what is characteristic of a cdiff colon he will stop the procedure, back out immediately and we discussed going on Dificid. But he does not want to keep pumping my system full of medication if it truly isn’t needed. I asked about the prep clearing out the good stuff and he said between now and then double up on the probiotics if I can handle it.

The hospital assured me he is the best in this area, my friends who are nurses assure me he is the best, when I mention to another Dr that I see him they seem impressed. I have to have faith that I am in good hands, right?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:58 am

Your GI sounds great, those were my thoughts. If bleeding continues, colonoscopy is the best way of viewing. I had no idea why they put you on the Cipro....it's not easy to find a great GI, Hang on to that one.

Wishing you the best with the exam, hopefully soon you can put this behind you

NanciT

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”