Just joined and have a few questions

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
AnnieB
New User

Just joined and have a few questions

Postby AnnieB » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:49 pm

Hi everyone,
Happy I found this forum. Currently on my 2nd bout of C. Diff in 3 months. First one was after taking flagyl and cipro for diverticulitis. Seemed like overkill. Apparently it was because I got C. Diff. They gave me flagyl again for that. Then again got diverticulitis, this time was given augmenten. 3 days after stopping got C. Diff. again. It’s frustrating and scary. Feels like I went from being a really healthy person to almost overnight, a really sick one. And feels like I’ll never be able to take antibiotics again without getting C. Diff!
Questions:
What is Dificid? I see it mentioned here.
I’m thinking of asking my doctor if I can have an FMT. I’d rather do that than keep getting C. Diff. But I don’t think Kaiser doctors are too keen on doing them, they see it as a last resort only if you’re really really sick.
Do you get an FMT in the middle of an active C. Diff infection or do you wait till symptoms are gone? I’m only on day 4 of 14 days of vancomycin.
OK thanks for being here everyone!

Caligirl
Contributor

Re: Just joined and have a few questions

Postby Caligirl » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:31 am

So sorry that you’re going through this! I had multiple bouts of c diff last year and was very scared for my mom when she got diverticulitis a few months later. I took Flagyl first and it was horrible. It is no longer recommended for c diff treatment. Vanco is what cured me, but for some they need Difficid or an FMT. I was pushing for an FMT during my vanco treatment but my GI decided to wait and see how I did after I finished the Vanco, glad that he did because it ended up curing me. Difficid is an antibiotic that is great for treating c diff because it kills the least amount of good bacteria, which will hopefully prevent a relapse. I hope that this round of Vanco does the trick for you!!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:25 am

We have had posters who had FMT done with Kaiser. I don't know how sick you have to be or how many relapses. I would ask for the Dificid first. If you relapse after that, then I think the FMT would be the next step, but talk it over with your doctors and tell them how you feel.

sammi79
Contributor

Postby sammi79 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:21 am

I am so sorry you are going through this. I can attest to feeling frustrated and scared. I feel like I’ll never be normal again. But, the amazing people on this site are so unbelievable helpful and provide words of sanity when you feel like you are spiraling.

I wish you the best of luck!

AnnieB
New User

Postby AnnieB » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:19 pm

Thanks everyone! Here’s an update.
I had been reading on here how a lot of people did tapers. I finally got my doctor to refer me to a GI doctor so I could ask about that. He told me that in my situation a taper wasn’t necessary. He said it’s only for people who have had multiple relapses. I also told him I was still on a fairly bland diet, being very careful with what I ate. He kind of laughed and said I should be eating totally normally by now.
So I finished 14 days of Vanco about 10 days ago. I slowly started adding more foods to my diet and so far so good.
Until this morning. Had 3 bowel movements, the last two, not watery but extremely loose. Has me scared. I’m hoping it’s just because I had a smoothie yesterday and I put a lot of spinach and baby kale in it. Trying to get some nutrition back. But maybe I overdid the greens, because I haven’t been eating any raw veggies yet? The poops are kinda greenish.
Maybe I need to go back to a blander diet again?
Crossing my fingers!!!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:12 pm

I had problems with foods with fiber, so maybe it was your smoothie. My relapses came about 2 or 3 weeks after stopping meds, so if things get bad again, contact your GI.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”