Florastor-how long during recovery?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
rmm26
New User

Florastor-how long during recovery?

Postby rmm26 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:51 pm

I'm 8 weeks post Vanco treatment. I've taken 2 Florastor pills every morning during Vanco and everyday since. Just wondering how long most people kept taking it, and for how long? Thinking of decreasing to 1 pill per day for another month, then maybe stopping after that?

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Florastor-how long during recovery?

Postby Ril » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:16 pm

It’s a matter of opinion. I took it for about 3 months then my dr told me it was ok to stop. Many people continue to take at least some probiotic indefinitely. I am back taking it again once per day and have taken another in the past, neither related to c diff but just for gut health in general. The only probiotic with any real research results is Florastor and even that is not totally conclusive.

Rev1119
Contributor

Re: Florastor-how long during recovery?

Postby Rev1119 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:36 pm

I'm 4 months post-vanco today, and up until this week had been taking florastor since I finished vanco. Saw a new GI doctor earlier this week who saw my med list and then immediately told me to stop taking the florastor. She then recommended Culturelle or VSL-3 as she felt that those would be much more helpful at this point - just one doctor (my doctor)'s opinion! I am now on culturelle since I've taken it before and I know I tolerate it well.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”