San Jin Pian for UTI and C. Diff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
KLW*1
Brand New Poster

San Jin Pian for UTI and C. Diff

Postby KLW*1 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:21 pm

Hi,
Has anyone ever used the Chinese medicine San Jin Pian for a UTI and had a relapse of C Diff? I recovered from C Diff in May, but have a low grade UTI (E. Coli tested) since July. I was prescribed Macrobid, but am too scared to take it even though it is considered a low offender. I have tried recommended protocols of all the OTC treatments (D-Mannose, Oil of Oregano, Propolis, etc) for over a month each, but to no avail. Unfortunately the UTI seems to slowly be worsening. I recently learned about San Jin Pian and am contemplating taking this instead of the antibiotic. Any thoughts?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: San Jin Pian for UTI and C. Diff

Postby AllisS » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:07 pm

Personally, I wouldn't fool around with a Chinese medicine if I had a long-lasting, worsening UTI, as you do. UTIs aren't anything to ignore, and they've become more treatment-resistant recently. I'd take the Macrobid if it were me. Perhaps you could ask the prescribing doctor whether it would be OK to take the probiotic Florastor in conjunction with the Macrobid. There are some indications that Florastor is effective in preventing C. diff relapse, though I think the studies that have reported this have been done in hospitalized patients.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: San Jin Pian for UTI and C. Diff

Postby NanciT » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:10 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

I have never heard of San Jin Pian. My honest thoughts are if you had a culture done, it was positive for infection I personally would treat it. I just completed Keflex for a serious UTI and would not risk the infection going to my kidneys.

I am allergic to Macrobid but several on the site have taken it and done well

Hopefully a few will jump in here

NanciT

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: San Jin Pian for UTI and C. Di

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:22 pm

Another vote for Macrobid. I tolerated it many times without a problem. It is usually effective for E. coli infections.. Ask for a culture if you have not had one already

All the best. Keep posting.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”