What exactly does negative PCR mean?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Anxious1
New User

What exactly does negative PCR mean?

Postby Anxious1 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:28 pm

So, I am a 31 year old F. I was diagnosed with c diff November 27th 2019. Took one ten day round of vancomycin. Finished vanco December 7th. Bowels are here and there, range from yellow to orange to brown but orange and yellow when I wipe. I had 3 days of diarrhea and got restested last week. It was a Toxin B PCR test. Came back negative but my dr didn’t really explain anything and said, “you’re fine. And negative PCR means less chance of reoccurrence.” But couldn’t tell me why or what that even means. At what point can I stop worrying about a reoccurrence? At what point does my stool go back to brown and stop changing all the time? I’m thinking PI-IBS. But this is all confusing.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: What exactly does negative PCR mean?

Postby beth22 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:05 pm

A negative PCR is good. It means that the DNA was not detected in your stool. I had a positive PCR for a couple of years, but negative EIA and that means that I did not have an active infection, but the DNA was picked up. In your case it wasn't.

Stool color takes a long time to change back and it depends on what you eat too. The vancomycin made my stool yellowish. It changes the flora in your intestines. If you are able, try to eat a variety of foods. You mentioned that your intestines are here and there and that you had D. Introduce new foods slowly. Some people can no longer tolerate dairy after c difficile. I was one of them. If you think that any particular food is causing it - dairy, red meat, vegetables, then try to eliminate that for a couple of days and see if it helps.

Anxious1
New User

Postby Anxious1 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:01 pm

Thank you Beth. I don’t get notifications so I didn’t know you responded. And they only did a PCR so would that pick up an active infection? Does this lower my risk of reoccurence? And well, my diet is mainly chicken breast,potatoes,oatmeal,and very little carrots. So nothing that should be causing the color. This past weekend I introduced a few small things without issue. I cut gluten,dairy,and most sugar. I also had IBS before c diff and diarrhea issues and just started my cholestyramine back up last week. That’s helping form it. But the color is the same. Hoping that’s just healing process.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:59 pm

Don't worry about the color. It takes time. Your test shows you do not have an active infection. It is negative.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”