Gut flora

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
exsorbed
New User

Gut flora

Postby exsorbed » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:56 pm

How long will it take for your gut flora to repopulate back to normal after completing antibiotic and getting rid of c diff?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Gut flora

Postby beth22 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:40 am

That varies from person to person. It also depends which antibiotics you took, for how long, what you are eating. I have read a few months and also a few years. I'm not sure there is a clear-cut answer. I would ask your doctor. Maybe he/she has read some kind of research paper.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:40 pm

I was in Virginia for business and ate nothing for breakfast at the Hilton but steel cut oats, chobani yogurt and drank OJ every morning. I swear doing that improved my stomach health so much. I’ve since gotten away from it but just went to Kroger tonight and loaded up on all those things because I neglected my diet so bad over the holidays.

Zay
Regular User

Postby Zay » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:59 pm

As Beth said, it varies. I read that 1 round of antibiotics like Penicillin cause cause disruption in your guts as long as a year.

When you are taking strong antibiotics or long term antibiotics you have to replace the flora by some sort of probiotics, preferably in the types you can eat. Yogurt, Kefir, pickles, saurkraut, drinks like kombucha and Suja probiotic juicr, etc. And you have to feed the good bacteria with bananas, apple pulp, oatmeal, barley, garlic, onions, asparagus, etc.

It also helps if you starve out the bad bacteria and yeast by avoiding a lot of sugar and refined carbs.

Once you start doing this slowly you will start noticing your guts changing. There will be less pain, less bloat, more regular and formed bowel movements, but it takes time especially with something like this.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”