Question after vanco

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
ColeB
New User

Question after vanco

Postby ColeB » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:34 am

Is there a general timeline that relapse potential greatly declines? I’ve heard it’s 4 weeks but wasn’t sure

I’m one week post vanco. My BMs have been extraordinary- large and solid. Today however was definitely softer but I did eat chipotle and had red pepper flakes last night so I’m not too worried.

Side note- anyone get canker sores on Florastor? I have 3 and when one goes away another shows up

ColeB
New User

Re: Question after vanco

Postby ColeB » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:14 am

I’ll also add I’ve been pretty ruthless on my stomach. I went to the chiefs Texans game and had 7 alcoholic drinks and the next day was totally fine BM. Also ate typical stadium food.

I’m making a point to eat very bland today

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:20 am

If you can binge like that your probably going to be fine c.diff wise!

"Religiously watch diet and macros"
Yea right!(⊙o⊙)

ColeB
New User

Postby ColeB » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:44 am

Lolll. That was one day I promise I’ve been perfect others.

Man I’m kind of depressed now. Have gone three times this am and third had a lot of mucus. I ate pretty normal yesterday too so I’m at a loss. I know it wasn’t watery D and it’s only one day but things were so incredibly normal the past two weeks. I desperately hope it doesn’t continue to worsen. I’m going to double up Florastor

Weird I was fine Monday Tuesday Wednesday and now Thursday after eating normal all week it’s flaring up

ColeB
New User

Postby ColeB » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:53 pm

Has any one had sporadic loose stools within one week of vanco and then leveled out / no relapse?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:31 pm

Probably at least half of posters!

Caligirl
Contributor

Postby Caligirl » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:08 pm

I did! My GI insisted that I get tested again. My BMs returned back to normal after a day and I didn't treat it. That was last March and I've been totally fine since.

ColeB
New User

Postby ColeB » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:41 pm

@caligirl i came across your story and Speg's and those two have given me the most hope. i'm at exact same point as SPeg, day 9, and thats when mucus came up. i went three times this am but havent gone since. stomach just has been rumbling all day. hoping i follow the same course as you guys.

i upped my florastor and going to start up the kiefer again.

man i'm thankful for this site.

ColeB
New User

Postby ColeB » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:11 am

Updating for myself and for others. I’ve found coming back and reading timelines has been beneficial

Yesterday I went three times before 9am and all were “mushy”

I had a grumbly stomach all day but no other BMs

Then at 8pm had a strong urgency to go and only mucus came out.. sorry gross but truth. Literally no color just almost opaque like jelly.

This am went 3x at home between 4:30-6:30 and then 4th time at work at 9am. All were mushy but 4th was mushy / disintegrate type that I’ve seen people post about. I wouldn’t call any of these WD but it’s definitely as loose as it could be before that I would think. Now I’m getting worried but trying to ride it out.

Took Florastor this AM as well as drank a kombucha and my other typical breakfast foods. Will continue to update but as of now I’m not seeking treatment via vanco

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:21 am

A lot of posters say mornings are worse during recovery, probably because of the gap in food intake while asleep.
Nor sure about the mucous though, that needs watching.
If it gets any worse (watery D or blood) see your Dr.

ColeB
New User

Postby ColeB » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:29 am

I’ve heard mucus can be consistent with PI IBS. Not sure what else would cause it

Also, when I was on vanco I never had ANY mucus. I actually had the best BMs I’ve ever had. Thus it definitely seemed to be working well for that... makes me wonder if my C dif infection is just mucus loose BMs not watery D. Idk I’m at a loss and sick of this. I was so hopeful when on vanco and really thought I had it in the bag.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:05 pm

Meds do not actualy totaly cure c.diff.
They reduce the infection to a manageable level and your body has to kick out any remaining bugs (vegitating spores).
C.diff is a normal gut inhabitant that only causes problems if it overgrows.
Hence no testing without symptoms and no testing to see if it's gone.
During that recovery period it's normal to have minor upsets.
Your recovering gut is at war with the bad guys.
Your gut has to recover from the infection AND the onslaught of meds so it's not unusual for it to object occasionaly!

ColeB
New User

Postby ColeB » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:17 pm

Thanks Roy. What all treatments did you have to go through for yours?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:58 pm

It was my mother that had c.diff at the height of the UK outbreak in 2007.
She did not survive.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”