UC flare after cdiff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Betsy723
Brand New Poster

UC flare after cdiff

Postby Betsy723 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:11 pm

36 year old female back story:
Contracted Cdiff after the perfect storm. I was pregnant with my 3rd child and needed a root canal. My dentist prescribed antibiotics 2 times to get rid of the infection. After I gave birth and had the dental work I was on antibiotics again. Shortly after I was misdiagnosed several times with a UTI and given many more rounds of antibiotics. I tested positive in April of 2018 and again in May.
It was discovered that I also had ulcerative colitis. I was hospitalized in oct 2018 for close monitoring of steroids after Cdiff. Since oct of 2018 I have been of mesmaline 3 times a day and have been very healthy.
Within the last month I have had a flare. This week I have had blood work and a stool sample to check for a flare. I was wondering if anyone has used oral steroids without doing a Vanco or dificid chaser?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: UC flare after cdiff

Postby beth22 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:42 am

I know of someone who developed UC after his bout with c diff and he took steroids without vanco or Dificid. The steroids did not help much and now he gets some type of IV treatment for the UC. He did not relapse with c difficile after the steroids though.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”