Immune system helpers post-C. Diff?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Rev1119
Contributor

Immune system helpers post-C. Diff?

Postby Rev1119 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:19 pm

Hi all -

I'm a 38-year-old female, 13 weeks post-vanco. Also have severe IBS-D which complicates matters, and had shingles about four months prior to my C.Diff diagnosis. I've been feeling better than I did weeks ago for the most part, until my 2nd grader brings home germs! Whenever I get sick now (even with just a cold or a minor virus), it takes twice as long to recover and I feel like I have the flu (think intense fatigue and body aches).

As far as immune-boosters go, I've been taking a daily multivitamin, daily florastor and culturelle and having yogurt almost daily. I also have virtual sessions twice a week with a nutritionist which have been somewhat helpful. I've read other posts where others talk about testing vitamin D and B12 levels to see if deficiencies exist, which is one other thing I am thinking of doing. Any suggestions (ideally IBS-D-friendly!) as to anything else I might do to boost my immune system/feel better overall? Any advice here would be much appreciated - thanks!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Immune system helpers post-C. Diff?

Postby Ril » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:35 pm

I wish I had a magic bullet but I personally don’t believe there is one....
I too have IBS-d, and since c diff have severe PI IBS.
My vitamin levels are fine and I think the further you get from the C diff, the stronger your immune system, and you, will get. Eat a balanced diet with enough protein ( something I am not so good at!) and know that there are good meds now for the IBS.
(I don’t know if the c diff exacerbated your IBS)

Best of luck,
Rita

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:59 am

I agree with Rita . Tried lots of supplements , spent a lot of money . The only thing really that helped is Vit D , and a probiotic called Megaspore.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:28 am

Years ago after my first bouts with c difficile, my ID told me to try colostrum. It is from cows and you can buy it in capsules at a health food store. I don't know if it helped, but it didn't hurt.

Rev1119
Contributor

Postby Rev1119 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:23 pm

Thanks for your helpful replies! While I am still going to do the at-home vitamin deficiency test to see if I am low on Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 specifically, I am also thinking that my low potassium (caused by the vancomycin) and low-ish magnesium (from a PPI I am weaning off of) could also be causing the intense fatigue I've been having; I've already had these levels checked at the hospital so I know for certain they are low. I was told to take potassium supplements by doctors, so in addition to upping my banana and potato intake I will be trying a potassium salt substitute powder as well. As for the magnesium, my GI said magnesium supplements can be rough on the stomach and to avoid those so I'll be having lots more nut products and dark chocolate and getting off of that PPI!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:49 am

Careful with chocolate , can trigger a IBS flare up , better avoid it for awhile. And agree about magnesium supplement , it will have laxative effect . Try coconut water , has lots of minerals (including magnesium) and electrolytes and it is also gentle with the gut.

Rev1119
Contributor

Postby Rev1119 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:20 pm

Fortunately, dark chocolate is one food which definitely does not trigger me! It's actually low FODMAP/safe for many people with IBS in .5-3oz quantities. As for the coconut water, only 100mL "should" be tolerated on a Low FODMAP diet for IBS per Monash University so I don't think it's one I can really try :( I think what will help my immune system and energy the most is when I can actually eat more; it seems that after C. Diff I can no longer tolerate many things I did before C. Diff (like chicken drumsticks which sent me into a flare this week - all dark meat seems to trigger me now).

I'm wondering if most people's stomachs after C. Diff feel better as time goes on? I'm just over 3 months out and while I am feeling better than I have been, I am starving/exhausted much of the time and definitely not where I'd like to be.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:59 am

Just watch the zinc level in multi vitamins. I read an article recently that mice in a trial with higher than normal levels gut flora was altered leaving them more vulnerable to c diff. Much like probiotics, there will probably be another article claiming zinc helps prevent cdiff. I will say that during a recent cold I use (cold eez) and the stuff made my stomach do cart wheels.

Rev1119
Contributor

Postby Rev1119 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:01 am

Thanks for the tip. And zinc can definitely be lethal; I gave up on cold-eez years ago because it did not like my stomach very much.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”