Is This Recovery or Road to relapse

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Rundle
New User

Is This Recovery or Road to relapse

Postby Rundle » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:10 am

Hi I'm a 34 Year old Male who before all this was very fit and healthy just over 7 weeks since my last Vanco

Looking for a bit of advice, Guidance but mostly Reassurance as this disease is the worst thing I have ever dealt with SO FAR.
I was recovering OK couple of bad day's Loose BM, M but no D and after a few weeks Pains in abdomen subsided. I still stick to a strict diet Low fod Map and was already Lactose intolerant before this. I Take the Uk version of S. boulardii and a Multi Strain probiotic as well as Dairy-free yogurts.

23/12 didn't feel right and 5 BM getting 5-6 on bristol until 3am WD, Saw GP in the morning in a panic as xmas (got a 5yr old Son to look after) and sent off sample, Dr's phoned me on the 27/12 calling me in and told me C-DIFF was showing positive and toxin positive. But my symptoms had improved and stools back to 2-3-4 on Bristol I still had pains in abdomen. Dr advised he will not tread as no WD since 23/12 but has got dificid ready to go should I return with worse symptoms. I was happy with that as I've read the 3 day rule.
Since the 07/01 I've had bad Lower right Pain pain between hip and belly button, aches and chills in legs and constant urge for BM but the usual 3 a day (new normal since d diff) and 3-4 on bristol with a bit of M. Now I'm feeling off not great almost like I did pre-diagnosis. I'm worried it's coming back and winning the war or if this is a normal recovery especially after everything my Gut has endured in the last 4 months. I know you can't diagnose me, but looking for reassurance that what I'm going through is normal recovery. I've read so many different things on this site that you can have it without D? if so does that mean my body is taking care of it hence no D?

Sorry, But my story might be a bit long-winded Feel free to just Skip or glance. Basically Cdiff treated with Metro first for 4 days then Vanco for 10 as I couldn't handle Metro Side effects finished Treatment on 19.11.19.

Here's my story 22/08/19 got an infection in nose and was given antibiotic clarithromycin 7 days to treat from overseas Dr as on holiday in Spain. returned to my own GP on the 26.08.19 as I was suffering from vertigo discontinued antibiotics and told I had Viral infection.

02/09/19 returned to Gp still vertigo but some testicle pain (sorry tmi) Dr said uti and gave me CIPROFLOXIN (The Devil) took 7 tablets severe pains in leg, panic attacks severe anxiety, brain fog. Please avoid this drug unless it's life or death but that's another story for floxies.

Dr's discontinued Cipro on 06/09/19 and gave me Doxycycline for 21 days thinking I had Lyme Disease I was bitten by something in Spain but did not have the ring or mark but they assumed leg pain, brain fog and vertigo was down to Lyme and not cipro side affects. Vertigo cleared after 3 days of Doxy so i though this is working and finished the course.

19/09/2019 Severe Diarrhea stomach pains and headaches, high temp, I was hospitalized and treated with clindamycin IV as they thought i had boarder line sepsis and infection. Two days later found out it was Campylobacter released on the 23/09/19

You know what's coming next right Saturday 02/11/2019 Sent to hospital with suspected Appendicitis fever, Pains, aches. as soon as I got the Hospital I had to go and low and behold WD And the Smell wow, they sent it straight off and kept me in 24Hr's later C-diff positive with toxins and started me on Metro (bad side affects) and they changed it to Vanco 10 days 125ml which I completed on the 19/11/19.

Thanks for reading my story and I want to say thank you for taking the time to read this. This site has been like a godsend since discovering it please keep up the good work.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Is This Recovery or Road to relapse

Postby Ril » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:28 pm

Hello Rundle and welcome to the site. Please read the first thread on rules for posting.
You currently have no symptoms of c diff infection. Not feeling well does not mean the c diff colitis is coming back. You should eat bland and just wait and see what happens. Watery d is the symptom you have to watch for.
Recovery does not mean you automatically feel all better. Many people still take time before their gut returns to its pre- c diff state and they feel “normal”. It is entirely possible that you are still in recovery and you just need more time. I felt sick for a long time with a lot of nausea. Just keep an eye on things.

Good luck,
Rita

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:33 am

I agree with Rita. However, with c difficile, things can go south rather quickly. If that happens, call your doctor. If you need to treat, Dificid would be my choice too. It spares much of the good flora and targets the c difficile specifically. Hopefully, you won't need it.

Rundle
New User

Postby Rundle » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:42 am

Thank you Both for your replies. I can't believe the toll this disease takes on you're body and mental health.
I'll stick to the 3 day rule and hope the reemerging Pains, cramps and burning in my abdomen are just a recovery symptom and resolve but they're so debilitating at times and getting worse.
I'm 4 weeks away from the 12 weeks so I just hope I can make it without relapse. It's such a hard road to recovery.
Thanks again.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”