9 year old daughter has Strep, prescribed amoxiclilin

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
rmm26
New User

9 year old daughter has Strep, prescribed amoxiclilin

Postby rmm26 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:47 pm

I was diagnosed with C Diff in late November. I'm now 1 month clear of the end of my Vanco treatment. I was already pretty stressed about my kids getting it, and now my daughter was just diagnosed with strep throat and bronchitis. Our pediatrician prescribed amoxicilin.

I have been exclusively using my own bathroom since learning what I had, and been using the Clorox Germicidal wipes as much as possible on doorknobs, etc. I'm still pretty concerned though as there really isn't a good way to clean the couch, plus my dogs get up there and who knows what they are tracking inside on their paws. I think kids are less likely to get C Diff if I remember right? Probably worrying too much but was really hoping we could get through the next few months at least with nobody in my family needing antibiotics.

rmm26
New User

Re: 9 year old daughter has Strep, prescribed amoxiclilin

Postby rmm26 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:08 pm

After doing some quick research, it seems there is some information out there that amoxilicin is considered a "narrow spectrum" antibiotic, however that same info says amoxicilin-clavulanate is a broad spectrum one. Not really sure what the difference is. I also noticed that amoxilicin is listed under "likely to cause c diff" on this discussion board, so pretty confused in general.

Caligirl
Contributor

Postby Caligirl » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:41 pm

Hi there,

I understand your concern. I had c diff when I was 9 months pregnant and relapsed when my baby was 6 days old. She had to be in the NICU for unrelated reasons and was on 2 different antibiotics for a little while. And then she got her first ear infection a few months later and had to be on amoxicillin. She made it free and clear :) I did give her baby florastor while she was on the antibiotics and a little while after. If it helps ease your mind, it might be worth getting your daughter the kids Florastor. But she will most likely be totally fine! Most people take antibiotics when needed and never get C Diff. My husband has an autoimmune disease so he gets sick fairly often and needs antibiotics occasionally, and he never got it. I hope you continue to get more and more comfortable as you get farther removed from your treatment!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:33 am

I think giving a children's probiotic is a good idea. Ask your pediatrician which one he or she recommends as there are different ones out there. Florastor is a yeast type, but there are others that are bacterial strains.

rmm26
New User

Postby rmm26 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:04 pm

Thanks for the advice! I talked to our pediatrician and asked about Florastor Kids and they said that would be perfectly fine. Got some of that, mixed it with some yogurt and gave it to her today a few hours after she took her antibiotic. Plan to give her that once a day while she's on the antibiotic and for a little while after.

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:47 am

My biggest fear is/was passing the infection on to my wife or my son, who is now 2.5 years old, so I can absolutely understand your worries about your daughter taking an antibiotic.

It’s likely that your daughter encounters c. diff in most public restrooms that she uses, and they probably aren’t cleaned with bleach. The point is that c. diff is all around us and there’s not much we can do to eradicate every spore but the vast majority of people who take antibiotics do not develop c. diff. Having said that, I know the anxiety that this illness causes so I understand what you’re going through.

My understanding is that antibiotic is usually not necessary for strep and often does not even reduce the duration of the infection. But you should definitely talk to your daughter’s pediatrician to confirm that.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”