Active and Main drain flooded freaking out

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
hledgess
Regular Contributor

Active and Main drain flooded freaking out

Postby hledgess » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:27 am

Ok so I had to move recently during an active infection due to my husband just giving up bc life got hard.. well today we noticed water all over the basement floor so called the landlord.. he said the main drain needs fixed.. it’s not withholding all the output our family is putting out . I clean a lot and was doing a lot of laundry and of course showers and toilet Flushing .. well I’m freaking out bc he said it’s probably all of the water output including toilet ... my cat has gone down there to use the litter pan and then after they fix it I need to clean apparently.. I’m so scared of giving it to my kids .. my sons room is down there so he’s upstairs for now.. how worried should I be? Does anyone know anything about sewer and c diff?

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Re: Active and Main drain flooded freaking out

Postby D1dad » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:00 am

This is a new one for sure. I wouldn’t how swimming down there more would I worry about it much. Obviously there’s a new poster here who acquired it at her work but that’s unusual. I’ve worked in the hospital/retirement home industry for 23 yrs and just picked up cdiff last yr which was brought on by being run down and then taking an antibiotic and continuing to be run down. I was just out in philly and 2 residents were quarantined due to cdiff, it freaked me out a little, and I smelled it once but I’m ok. I went back to work as soon as I could and haven’t been reinfected yet lol. Just bleach as much as possible the things that were touched and mop the basement with a good solution. Wear a respirator, that stuff is nasty.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:29 am

Thanks .. my brother owns houses n he says he always has guys clean up after stuff like that but my new landlord doesn’t know what c diff is so he’s not concerned.. am I being too ocd here.. there has to be spores down there all over .. I just finished bleaching every part of the house thinking it was clean . Now I feel gross n am scared it’s being tracked all over my floors now.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:12 pm

The drain guy Is here now and said it was everything backing bc he saw toilet paper.. I’m freaking out that my cat has been walking around downstairs and he’s been on my stove n couch and bed .. literally in tears over this .. has no one had anything like this ever happen? It’s be like if the toilet went over .. how would u begin to disinfect.. I don’t want my kids to get this .. and I don’t want to the infect myself in the future

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:01 am

Backup sounds very unpleasant. That said, I highly doubt it will be a source of infection for your household, kids/pet included. If it were me, I would call a company such as ServiceMaster and hire them to do a cleanup/disinfection; they specialize in that type of thing. I would not mention C. diff concerns to them or to your landlord; you don't owe them an explanation, and the cleanup crew will take precautions routinely in such a situation.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:55 am

Those are very expensive.. I don’t have that in my budget .. I cleaned as well as I think I could but will go down and do it all over again.. but I think I breathed in too much bleach as I didn’t think to open a window first.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:23 am

At this point you're probably more at risk from the bleach vapors than from any risk posed by the drain backup. Try to get yourself to stop cleaning! The continued cleaning isn't accomplishing anything other than to feed your anxiety.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:12 am

Even if there’s poop water all over my basement ?

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”