Dapsone And c diff?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
mach1320
Contributor

Dapsone And c diff?

Postby mach1320 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:18 am

Hello,

Welp ive been pretty well since getting rid of c diff and taking care of SIBO. However a new issue has surfaced, looks like i may have dermatitis herpeiformis pending punch biopsy results. its basically celiacs of the skin where it causes a blistered rash.

Now my concern is that its treated with dapsone which looks to be a steroid/antibiotic combo. Do we have any knowledge on this drug? I see its called a sulfone but i am having trouble finding info on the antibiotic component specifically. If i do wind up with this condition and the drug is more for my comfort i’ll probably ask to just ride out the rash.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Dapsone And c diff?

Postby beth22 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:54 pm

I had to use an antibiotic ointment called mupirocin that is quite strong for an infection on my hand. I used it for about 10 days and had no issues. However, it was a small area that I applied it to. If the rash covers a large area, I would check with your GI about using the cream. Maybe the doctor can tell you how much is absorbed systemically.

roy
Administrator

Re: Dapsone And c diff?

Postby roy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:26 pm

I had to Google it.
Probably not a cream.
Treatment is tablet form and VERY long term, can be years and it comes back if you stop taking the pills!
Main " treatment" seems to be the same as for gut celiac, eliminate gluten and it goes away (eventualy).
Dont think I would be treating if the rash is minor but thats something to discuss with your Dr.
That's an unusual diagnosis if you dont have signs of ordinary celiac though.
Or perhaps celiac has been a problem all along!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”