Random Intolerances

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Zay
Regular User

Random Intolerances

Postby Zay » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:15 pm

I have read older posts talking about intolerances to stuff like dairy, sugar, gluten, raw veggies, but did y'all ever have like...any weird type intolerances.

I was using Pedialyte to stay hydrated and it worked well, now even a sip makes me vomit which is making hydration harder. I was eating plain boiled chicken and suddenly even the smell makes me nauseous and even a bite makes me vomit. I can eat other things and I was thinking maybe it was just one of the antibiotics I was on (Flagyl and vanco) but I could eat them on the last round and knew others had intolerances to certain stuff after.

Is this normal? I understand with like trigger foods, but these things I didn't think would be considered triggers

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Random Intolerances

Postby NanciT » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:45 pm

I also had things I never had an issue with, even some OTC medications that suddenly I could not eat or meds I could not use. It's been 5 years and I am not able to eat Beef or drink any wine at all...no alcohol. If I try, I get sick. I generally wait until I am not working for a few weeks to try again.

It makes no sense other than my gut changed with all of this

NanciT

Zay
Regular User

Postby Zay » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:22 pm

The GI doctor just told me it was because of the meds and told me it is because of a metallic taste in my mouth, which I didn't say anything about. I do have a weird taste, but not enough to make me vomit.

I honestly feel like I wasted $208 on that visit as nothing can of it other than "you'll feel better after the meds and you'll be able to get back to your life and regular diet" which I am finding isn't gonna be the case.

I guess I will just do trial and error, but it is comforting to see others had random things and not just the usual triggers that they cannot handle.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:50 am

Your doctor may be right. The metallic taste and the nausea can be due to Flagyl . Vanco it's well tolerated , but Flagyl; is awful . For me it was like poison . The first time i had CDiff i was prescribed FLagyl , couldn't even finish the course because i felt awful while on it .I could not eat anything because i would vomit , couldn't even keep down water . My doctor switched me to Vanco , and it made a huge difference , all the nausea and the vomiting went away and my appetite returned.

Zay
Regular User

Postby Zay » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:08 am

I went through the first round okay, it messed with my head pretty bad. This time round with both I have been wrecked. I just finished the meds and hopefully will not relapse and will be okay for a while.

Speaking of intolerances did any of you develop hives during the last part of your treatment? I don't really wanna go to the doctor yet as they aren't terrible and stay on the torso and lower, obviously if they move to my neck and face I will go, but I don't want to be on steroids right now as my body has been through enough.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:14 am

I have been told to take an antihistamine for hives. I have taken Benadryl when I had them once due to an allergic reaction. Check with your doctor or pharmacist.

Zay
Regular User

Postby Zay » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:12 am

Thank you! I checked and it was okay, seemed to help quite a bit!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”