Metrogel

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
lila30
Contributor

Metrogel

Postby lila30 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:03 am

Hi all, i'm looking for some advice. I know I still need to consult with my doctor but just wanted to know others opinions.

I went to obgyn the other day and was informed I have BV (bacterial vaginosis). She prescribed metrogel which is Metronidazole (Flagy). It's a gel instead of taking it orally. I told her that I had c.diff from an antibiotic and was too scared to take oral antibiotics. My question is, do you think I can still get c.diff from metrogel?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Metrogel

Postby AllisS » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:30 am

I think it's very unlikely. Per my Google, search, neither C. diff nor diarrhea are listed as potential side effects of the gel form.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:32 am

I used it after c diff and did not have any problems.

MeliMel
Regular User

Postby MeliMel » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:17 pm

I recently developed BV too. My GYNO prescribed Metro Gel for me as well. At first the symptoms weren't that bothersome but have recently increased/ started to be more bothersome. I have been nervous to start the gel. I read previous posts in which Purfem was mentioned. I'm considering giving it a try, hope it works.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:43 pm

I have unfortunately used it several times . Never had BV before CDIFF, now it keeps returning. The only other option is Clindamycin which I would NOT consider. So, it's Metro Gel for me. I have had no issues and have used it about 7-8 times over the last 3-4 years.

The other options I have tried:

Purfem : This is a probiotic, it does not clear BV but you can use it after treatment. I have tried several times but BV returns

Boric Acid : This is made by a compounding pharmacy( very pricey). It is available online but my GYN feels compounding pharmacy is the only accurate product. This has actually helped and also helps with yeast ( metro gel will often cause yeast) but in my case BV returns generally months later.
I have had various tests done to rule out other things, BV can be difficult to get rid of.

I done alot of research, I do best if I use Metro Gel followed by boric acid for 3 wks.

NanciT

MeliMel
Regular User

Postby MeliMel » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:56 pm

Thank you for the information NanciT. And the use of Metro Gel has never given you any problems with CDiff? I have used it once before and didn't have problems then but that was pre-CDiff.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:05 pm

No as mentioned I have unfortunately used it many many times. No D or issues with CDIFF.

I had CDIFF in 2014-2015 for a year with 5 relapses. I am extremely careful and avoid all antibiotics. One reason I have tried the Purfem and Boric acid. I still do not use Metrogel until symptoms become severe and I have no option.

We have had several posters over the years ask about it

NanciT

lila30
Contributor

Postby lila30 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:43 pm

Thank yall so much for the responses. I will definitely keep this in mind. Im going to look into the boric acid.

Mmp
Regular User

Postby Mmp » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:36 am

Did you end up using the boric acid? I have bv and refuse to do metrogel.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:42 pm

Hi

From my understanding BV won't be cured by Boric acid. It is generally used after treatment for 2-3 weeks and cut down after that on a maintenance. Depends on the OBGYN. The two I saw had the same program, but both required treatment first.

The poster who started the thread is still on so hopefully she can tell you her experience also.

I have had to treat BV several times over the last two years, I have used Metrogel several times. It is flagyl which used to be used to treat CDIFF so it does not worry me. The other treatment is clindamycin, I would not use that and they is why we have done the Metrogel several times. Last time I followed up with Boric acid for 3 weeks and it has worked for me.
I also want to add I go in each time and make sure it is BV I am dealing with, confirming by culture

Wishing you the best!

NanciT

AZNancy
Brand New Poster

Postby AZNancy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:56 pm

I used to get frequent BV and yeast infections. Since I started using Boric Acid capsules, I have not had one in over 8 years.

They are crazy expensive at a compounding pharmacy. Walgreen's also told me $5.00 per capsule. That is nuts.

I make my own capsules for just pennies. I make hundreds at a time and have several girlfriends that use them.

I even give the one's I make to my gynecologist and she loves them and shares with patients. She told me years ago that they were women's best friend.

They are easy to make. I get medical grade BA and the empty capsules from Amazon. I bought the capsule maker from another company.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:36 am

AZNancy

I must respond to your post. First, this is a CDIFF site and the concern is often any antibiotic use post CDIFF. We talk about our experiences and what has helped. As you can see I responded in this thread about Boric Acid and my experience.

I would never suggest anyone "make their own" with any type of treatment. I did post a compounding pharmacy and yes they are expensive. It is the only way to know what you are getting unless you are a pharmacist. I also can't imagine any OBGYN using a homemade product and handing them out to patients.

This site is about support and we are careful to keep what we post on topic.

NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:23 pm

I would think a Dr that gives out medication that's home made by another patient would be struck off, banned from practicing and maybe even prosecuted for putting patients at risk!
Those capsuals could contain anything.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:48 pm

AZ Nancy,

It sounds as tho you are advertising a product' - not the purpose of this site. Stop! Any more posts like this will be deleted and you will be banned,

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”