Hi: New Member here

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
hledgess
Regular Contributor

Re: Hi: New Member here

Postby hledgess » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:33 am

That’s a good question about the testing .. bc I have always had a PCR test and it used to say either negative or positive but now this time it said toxin b positive by PCR.. it’s all confusing.. why didn’t it say that in the past? Or is it just my hospital

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:42 am

I lost a lot of weight. Doctor said in order to gain 1 lb a week, you need to eat 500 extra calories per day. I am not good at counting calories, so I tried eating some snacks. Some people do well with nutritional shakes. I did not. Ensure caused loose stools.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:09 am

Andy, I realize this is an old post, and might not mean much posting now....After I read you success story I started reading your old post trying to better understand the history of your infraction , treatment and symptoms. I thought it might be useful to me as I m going though a similar issue right now

I joined this forum March 20, after I completed to my treatment. I wish I new about this group earlier during the treatment, it could have helped me to ask my doctor to change my treatment from Flagyl to Vanco sooner or maybe even Dificid. I was on Flagyl fo 8 days and than the doctor switched me to Vancomycin for 10 days.

I am not an expert but I think you had C-Diff first time you went to hospital. I say that, because something similar happened to me, I come down with severe diarrhea on Feb 4, while traveling in south east USA. I live in California. I thought it was a travel diarrhea so I just stayed on my hotel. I went to urgent care directly from airport as soon as i come back home, which was Feb 7th, 3 days after my initial symptoms. At urgent care they couldn’t find the issue, the CT scan showed unspecified Colitis, but I was getting better so they send me home. I tested for C-diff few days later and negative. Next day the urgent care doctor on call called me to follow and see if diarrhea is gone, and I told me I am improved instead of 20 BM per day I am done tp 4-7 , he said I might have had diverticulitis and prescribed antibiotics, but I didn’t take it, since he seemed so uncertain and was jut trying to do something. 10 days Or so later, I was around 90% improved almost cured on my own I was down to 1-3 BM per day and semi formed. On Feb 19 I had around 5 or 6 drinks of Johnson Irish whisky with my coworkers, and next day i was up to 4-6 BM and nasty mushy BW, and mucus was added to mix few days later, I went to GI doctor, after few visits he re tested for C-Diff and it was positive this time. He said, it is very common to have a false negative when first time testing. that is said. I think I had C-Diff the whole time, but my good flora was wining the battle until I had the Whisky. The Whisky killed the good flora which made room for C-Diff to grow again .... As I said, I am still learning about this and not an expert but that is my theory
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”