Recovery questions

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Mmp
Regular User

Recovery questions

Postby Mmp » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:59 am

I am 8.5 weeks post vanco taper. Some days I feel good and have energy. Other days I still feel sick, sick to my stomach, burning stomach, gurgling, chills or hot flashes but never ever fever. I am having solid stools with little to no urgency except in the morning. Typically I was having all my bowel movements in the morning but now sometimes they are throughout the day. Is this normal recovery? What was your recovery like? And did anyone have a burning stomach? I feel like I am so close to 3 months which I have been aiming for to get to a "safe" zone.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Recovery questions

Postby NanciT » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:13 pm

Recovery is different for everyone...............for me it has taken a very long time. I still have nausea on and off and wear "Sea Bands" . I go bland when I don't feel well.
It can take time, diet was something I had to watch carefully and for some reason I cannot eat beef any longer. Give your gut time, keep an eye on the diet to see if that makes a difference

Take Care

NanciT

Mmp
Regular User

Postby Mmp » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:32 pm

Thanks nanci I have been having really bad stomach pain and cramps today. I am not sure if this is pi- IBS or the start of another relapse. I feel at 8 weeks I should be feeling better!

lila30
Contributor

Postby lila30 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:54 am

Recovery is different with everyone. I felt like I thought I was relapsing the first 5 months. Some days were good and some days were bad. I would get horrible stomach pains and felt nauseated, I thought I was relapsing but I wasn't. It's going to take time, it won't happen over night. That nasty bacteria does a lot of damage to our insides and it takes awhile for our body to recoup. I was strictly on boiled rice and boiled chicken for 5 months. I tried eating greens after five months but it was too soon. So I tried again around the 9 month mark and I was fine. It's been almost two years and I just started eating spicy foods and diary again! I can now drink milk and eat cheese. Before I couldn't eat or drink dairy without feeling super sick to my stomach. There is a finish line, just keep moving and don't give up faith.

Rev1119
Contributor

Postby Rev1119 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:38 pm

I have also been "here and there" in regards to recovery. When I first finished vanco in mid-October I was still feeling awful, with morning nausea, funky stool and a gurgly stomach. While everyone is different, what has been most helpful for me is the daily florastor I take (it has made SO much of a difference for lower GI symptoms). In addition, whenever I hit a rough patch/flare with bowel cramping my awesome GI doctors tell me to go on a low-residue diet (avoiding high-fiber foods, nuts and seeds) for several days. At 13 weeks post-vanco now and in a flare due to a viral infection, but the low-residue diet is really,really helping! And when I'm not in a flare? I feel pretty good if I eat carefully and avoid high-fat foods and larger portions (have always had IBS-D though). Hope this helps and hope you feel better soon!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”