Positive test result with no D

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
exsorbed
New User

Positive test result with no D

Postby exsorbed » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:48 am

my doctor wanted to re test me again after 2 weeks off a 10 day course of vanco and my pcr toxin came back positive but i haven’t been having any diarrhea and my doctor wants to start me back on a taper or vanco, not sure what to do

roy
Administrator

Re: Positive test result with no D

Postby roy » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:06 am

Ask your Dr to check the correct protocol for treating (NOT treating!) asymptomatic c.diff and the correct protocol for NOT testing after treatment to see if it's gone!
The correct guidlines can be found in this link.

https://www.healio.com/infectious-disea ... py-changes

ALSO
A positive PCR does not mean you have a clinical disease and Drs should not treat based on only the test result.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamain ... le/2434732

lila30
Contributor

Postby lila30 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:48 pm

When I finished my treatment and retested, my pcr came back positive as well but with no symptoms. Just nausea from recovery. I did not accept another treatment. The more you stay on an antibiotic, greater chance for a relapse.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:19 am

My gi said “absoloutely not” to a retest. Even when I thought I was relapsing he said no unless it became uncontrollable. His reasoning made sense in that I would more than likely test positive and would want antibiotics and we’d be starting over from square one again. I’m glad I listened.

Caligirl
Contributor

Postby Caligirl » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:54 am

My situation was a little complicated. Pretty bad case of c diff while 36 weeks pregnant. Took flagyl for 10 days. Induced 2 weeks later and developed an infection during labor and had to be on antibiotic to try to prevent my baby from getting it (I would do it again in a heartbeat) but one week later I had symptoms again. 10 day course of Flagyl. A month after that I had to have a minor surgery to remove a tube that I had to have placed due to bad kidney stones during pregnancy. The dr gave me 1 round of antibiotics during surgery even though I objected. A week later I had very mild symptoms. That was a Saturday, my GI had me wait to be tested before treating, and I couldn’t be tested until Monday and results didn’t come back until Thursday. Results came back positive but my symptoms cleared up on their own after a day or so. The GI said that he still wanted to treat because “there was no risk to treating it”. I decided to go with my gut and not treat. I haven’t had any symptoms since then and that was 10 months ago. Obviously I’m not a doctor, but based on my experience I wouldn’t treat myself unless I was symptomatic. My symptoms the first time were HORRIFIC and I would probably treat immediately if that happened again. 9 months pregnant and I was having WD every 60-90 seconds. I literally spent the entire night in the restroom not knowing what was happening. But the last time when I chose not to treat it was so mild, that probiotics and my good gut flora were able to fight it off!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”